Thread: Maybe no spark?

DaddyMack
    THought it might be fuel pump, going to check to be sure I am getting fuel to carb tonight or thursday.
    Boat starts fine Friday night.
    Sits over night, hard to start in morning, runs real ruff blowing smoke too much gas kills it until it warms up then runs perfect all day, drain one tank switch over, runs fine for a little while longer until put away for nite.
    Sits over nite again (sat nite). Won't start sun morning. cranks.. starts to catch but never does. and drained batteries trying to get it started
    Gas was 4 mths old. Just filled up tanks on way home, so all new gas to test with.
    Causes? (1) bad fuel pump? but sight glass has no fuel in it. going to check to see if carb is getting fuel by pulling fuel line at carb to see if fuel is getting there.
    (2) no spark? just replaced all plugs, wires, points etc. and it was timed etc.
    going to check spark... used to do that by pulling plug and holding next to block to see if I get spark (is this best way?).
    any other ideas?
    :idea:

Some Kind Of Monster
    You need to run through the basics first. (Spark and fuel). It could be a hundred things. Start eliminating them one by one. Don't forget to charge up your battery! What kind of boat?

DaddyMack
    You need to run through the basics first. (Spark and fuel). It could be a hundred things. Start eliminating them one by one. Don't forget to charge up your battery! What kind of boat?
    80 Hallet 20-SS
    Mercruiser 260 engine stock except that the exhaust was updated. (Chevy 350). Mercruiser 260 I/O.
    Charging batteries tonight...
    Is that the best way to check spark? hold plug next to block?

cfm
    Boat starts fine Friday night.
    Sits over night, hard to start in morning, runs real ruff blowing smoke too much gas kills it until it warms up then runs perfect all day, drain one tank switch over, runs fine for a little while longer until put away for nite.
    Sits over nite again (sat nite). Won't start sun morning. cranks.. starts to catch but never does. and drained batteries trying to get it started
    I agree that more diagnosis needed.
    If I where to roll the dice and guess assuming you have a quadrajet carb (going by the yr boat and engine) that the fuel wells are leaking fuel into the intake and causing this no start, run rough when cold, and run okay once warmed. In this case your fuel bowl will completely empty into intake when sitting and not running.
    or
    choke problem. Staying completely shut. Good news on this one is you don't need a choke , therefore you can disconnect rod going to intake and wire choke door open.
    Again, above is a typical but in no way does it mean I'm pshyic in knowing what's wrong with your boat.

DaddyMack
    I agree that more diagnosis needed.
    If I where to roll the dice and guess assuming you have a quadrajet carb (going by the yr boat and engine) that the fuel wells are leaking fuel into the intake and causing this no start, run rough when cold, and run okay once warmed. In this case your fuel bowl will completely empty into intake when sitting and not running.
    Hmmm I am guessing this would be taken care of with a rebuild kit?
    or
    choke problem. Staying completely shut. Good news on this one is you don't need a choke , therefore you can disconnect rod going to intake and wire choke door open.
    Again, above is a typical but in no way does it mean I'm pshyic in knowing what's wrong with your boat.
    I had a rope tied to the choke to hold it open... lol.. it did seem to help some but wouldn't start...

Some Kind Of Monster
    Yes, you can test for spark by grounding a plug on the block. It it the best way? no. You can buy a spark tester that contains the spark or use a test light/meter. If you use the block ground method, make sure there is no fuel exposed. You could also stick your pinkie in the wire boot and hang on!

DaddyMack
    Thanks for all the help.. either I have a little gremlin.. or it was the choke...
    I checked spark and fuel to the carb then...
    I propped it open gave a couple squirts of throttle and she kicked right over.. like nothing was ever wrong...
    good for me..lol..going to the Lake on Sunday!!

DMOORE
    My guess would have to go with the leaking float bowls also. By morning you have got a motor full of raw fuel, finally starts and chugs to life with a bunch of smoke. Before you try to start the motor in the morning pull the spark arrestor, slowly open the butterfly and look to see if the intake has raw fuel in it. If so, you've got a leaky carb,time for a rebuild. Might even get better fuel milage to boot.
    Darrell.

DaddyMack
    My guess would have to go with the leaking float bowls also. By morning you have got a motor full of raw fuel, finally starts and chugs to life with a bunch of smoke. Before you try to start the motor in the morning pull the spark arrestor, slowly open the butterfly and look to see if the intake has raw fuel in it. If so, you've got a leaky carb,time for a rebuild. Might even get better fuel milage to boot.
    Darrell.
    Thanks! will do!