Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 454???

NautiII
    Ok you 454 buffs, I have a chance to buy a square bore 454 for $175. the cam is bad in it, it has been sitting for a while, and has no intake on it. definetly needs some work. so, is it worth it?? and by the way, I just built a 455 olds, and it is very stout. just figured the 454 would be a good project motor if it is worth it. the year is a 1973, if that means anything to yall.

Ok you 454 buffs, I have a chance to buy a square bore 454 for $175. the cam is bad in it, it has been sitting for a while, and has no intake on it. definetly needs some work. so, is it worth it?? and by the way, I just built a 455 olds, and it is very stout. just figured the 454 would be a good project motor if it is worth it. the year is a 1973, if that means anything to yall.
    The round bore is a more desirable block. :rollside:
    I assume you mean rectangle port head, all BBC engine make great jetboat engines. Being you have jetboat engine building experience, you know the drill on the cam lobe seperations right? they still apply. Take your time and do it right, there is lots of great advice to be heard here, for both Ford and Chevy engines. Start lookng for your mounts now, so youe wiil have them when your ready to convert over. have fun..

Brooski
    When I had my engine redone last year, my block had a crack in the cylinder wall. I paid $300 for a used bare block. If the bottom end is complete, you cant beat the price.

SmokinLowriderSS
    The Big Block Chevy is a great muscle motor for 2 main reasons IMO. First, it was a racing engine, born & bread to stand toe to toe in the 60's with the legend of NASCAR, the Chrysler Hemi, and come out on top. Seccond, it was so good at that reason that it became very popular as the base for so many racing engines at professional levels that parts are several times easier to get, and often half as costly as those for Fords, Olds, or Chryslers. It does make the pick & choose process a lot tougher. The Chevy doesn't have any of the oiling system problems of the Olds at high rpm since it was designed to operate there, unlike the big olds yet doesn't have to be spun half to death to make power. Sure, there are better aftermarket parts out there like heads, rods, cranks, but the factory items are not slackers and can be pushed hard, especially at sub-6K rpm levels IMO (can ya tell I'm a Bowtie Motor fan.
    You've already built an expensive & tough engine to hot-rod sucessfully, the Chevy is easy, so is kinda cookie-cutter that way, nothing unusual or unique.

Wally_Gator
    I would say jump on it for the same reasons mentioned above.
    I built my Olds 455 two years ago and two weeks ago I picked up a free Merc 454 short block that is now torn down getting ready for the machine shop and new parts.
    Get some casting numbers so you know what you are buying..
    At the price, you can't beat it.

NautiII
    thanks for all the input. but, should I get the motor based on the casting numbers, or, for the price, just buy it anyway, no matter what the numbers?

Wally_Gator
    thanks for all the input. but, should I get the motor based on the casting numbers, or, for the price, just buy it anyway, no matter what the numbers?
    Some of the more experienced on here can chime in, but I think based on the year it should be a safe bet. It is always nice to know the application of the block and it's dimensions. Some are tall deck vs short deck and 2 bolt mains versus 4 bolt mains.

V1800J
    Hey Sleekcrafter
    I missed class the day they taught about "cam lobe seperations". Can you review the info for me. Thanks

Hey Sleekcrafter
    I missed class the day they taught about "cam lobe seperations". Can you review the info for me. Thanks
    In a nut shell you can read it here:
    http://boatheaders.com/reversion.htm

NautiII
    ok, here is the scoop on the 454 motor. the head #s are 353049, which according to MorTec, are, oval, open, 454, 122cc chamber, 255/119cc ports, and the block #s are 3999289, 454, 2 or 4 bolt main. not sure of that yet, have not pulled off the pan to see. so, any comments?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast