Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Vdrive Plate Struts - Their Value?

WannabeRacing
    The extra long brackets like Art is stating is very helpful. If they head in almost to the case it is basically doubling or more the thickness of the plate, which physics would say less flex will occur. I like braces because I like things overdone. ("If less is more, just think how much more, more would be.")
    And the adjustable deal does not really move over time. It is just nice to be able to adjust it so there is slight tension on both sides equally. The aluminum plate is at the mercy of drilling perfectly, etc. Also, some of the 4 link style like to pull on the bottom two bars to keep from flexing forward, and a slight push on the top two. So the V-drive does not try and swivel in the mounts. You start to see this when the top two bars are higher on the case. Keeps the alignment of the prop shaft and v-drive shaft perfect.
    I guess what I am saying is that any bracing is better than just a single plate down the center of the v-drive.

GofastRacer
    If they head in almost to the case it is basically doubling or more the thickness of the plate, which physics would say less flex will occur.
    Less flex, they ain't going nowhere!..

VDRIVERACING
    Thank you for the info, Gentlemen... I think I have a better understanding of the stress on the Vdrive now. We used 1/2" midplate and 1/2" mounting brackets 4" wide, and it made it through its first GN race OK.
    I'm, definitely going to add some struts top and bottom.

Life's Rough
    Thank you for the info, Gentlemen... I think I have a better understanding of the stress on the Vdrive now. We used 1/2" midplate and 1/2" mounting brackets 4" wide, and it made it through its first GN race OK.
    I'm, definitely going to add some struts top and bottom.
    The reason the K,s or other circle flats get away with this is the solid drive line is the brace. If you have a slip type drive shaft the extra bracing is a must. The blue boat shown in V-Driven's photo bent the prop shaft twice, then the shown supports were added and this never happened again My 2 cents and this is fact.

GofastRacer
    The reason the K,s or other circle flats get away with this is the solid drive line is the brace. If you have a slip type drive shaft the extra bracing is a must. The blue boat shown in V-Driven's photo bent the prop shaft twice, then the shown supports were added and this never happened again My 2 cents and this is fact.
    Hey Pat, the solid driveline can't be the brace because it is splined on the motor end so it can slide, BUT the push is not on the top it's on the bottom and from the pic all it had was some tiny brackets that's why things moved and fkd up the shaft!.. Ask Wayne about that!..

The blue boat shown in V-Driven's photo bent the prop shaft twice, then the shown supports were added and this never happened again My 2 cents and this is fact.
    Who was driving when it bend the prop shafts, sure as hell couldn't have been you. Must have been some hired gun.

superdave013
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../Dan_TR4_3.JPG
    That's a bad ass case. One of JJ Beaver's deals right?

Flat Magic
    No roger way racing 704-664-7554.

superdave013
    No roger way racing 704-664-7554.
    Thanks for the correction. We had a set of those go through here and they came from JJ. So I just assumed he made or had them made. Super nice looking cases. They had larger bearings for the top shaft if I remember right.
    Have not heard Roger Way's name in years. Bought an injector hat from him a long time ago.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast