Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Vdrive Plate Struts - Their Value?

Flat Magic
    I think that JJ gets them from roger he also makes the billet
    output housing cases are very sweet. roger is a great guy
    i think he keeps most of that stuff in stock.

VDRIVERACING
    [QUOTE=adjones419;2479389]Here are some more pictures of the 4-link bar brace setup in a friend's new TR-4
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../Dan_TR4_2.JPG
    This setup is absolutely sick!!! Do you know where I can get the hardware?

adjones419
    The v-drive is from Roger Way. As for the rest of the hardware, I think he and Mike Cline made most of it and what they couldn't make they ordered from Bergeron.

sawtooth
    Does the Lenco clutch or 2 speed (can't tell) take the place of a wirl-a-way on the v drive? Nice looking set up by the way.

Flat Magic
    The billet output housing has a whirlaway still it just stays
    locked in all the time.Clutch becomes the in and out.

adjones419
    The billet output housing has a whirlaway still it just stays
    locked in all the time.Clutch becomes the in and out.
    Exactly! The Roger Way unit doesn't have an in and out like other v-drives, so the Lenco clutch is used as the in and out.

RiverDave
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1175565265
    The extra long brackets like Art is stating is very helpful. If they head in almost to the case it is basically doubling or more the thickness of the plate, which physics would say less flex will occur. I like braces because I like things overdone. ("If less is more, just think how much more, more would be.")
    And the adjustable deal does not really move over time. It is just nice to be able to adjust it so there is slight tension on both sides equally. The aluminum plate is at the mercy of drilling perfectly, etc. Also, some of the 4 link style like to pull on the bottom two bars to keep from flexing forward, and a slight push on the top two. So the V-drive does not try and swivel in the mounts. You start to see this when the top two bars are higher on the case. Keeps the alignment of the prop shaft and v-drive shaft perfect.
    I guess what I am saying is that any bracing is better than just a single plate down the center of the v-drive.
    Actually that's not true.. As it sits he has a plate sandwiched by two plates. While on the surface it may look like he has doubled/tripled the thickness of the plate in reality he hasn't. The center plate will bend slightly and the outer two plates will ever so slightly "slide" on the center plate. For example the plate closest to the transom will slide in compression ever so slightly until they either hit the clearances on the bolts, or the compression of the two plates over comes the force bending it. The Plate towards the bow will slide in extension until the same things afore mentioned happened.
    That setup is only making things slightly more rigid through the compression of the two plates, but it's not NEARLY as strong as if it were to be one solid plate that was recessed.
    In other words it doesn't take hardly anymore force to slightly bend Go Fast Racer's setup then it does if all that stuff wasn't there. The upside to his setup though is it will bend very minimally and then it's not gonna bend no more. I.E. It's strong but it's not "rigid."
    If he wanted to drastically increase the rigidity of that setup he could take it out of the boat, put it all together, and drill and ream several precision holes down the centerline. Put some nice "press fit" dowel pins through those holes to align the plates to each other, and cancel out any linear movement, and the possibillity of the plates slightly sliding on each other when enough force to overcome the compression of the screws occurs. By removing the linear motion, you've come drastically closer to making them in fact one big plate.
    Less flex, they ain't going nowhere!..
    I wasn't trying to critisize your setup, and I hope it's not taken as such. I don't know jack shit about V-Drives, but I did have an engineering project awhile back that had a very similar setup to the clamp style deal your using for your plates. That's how I ended up finding out that just screwing three plates together doesn't really help your program much if you need it to be "rigid" and not to move.
    RD

VDRIVERACING
    Does the Lenco clutch or 2 speed (can't tell) take the place of a wirl-a-way on the v drive? Nice looking set up by the way.
    Nope.

http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1175565265
    Actually that's not true.. As it sits he has a plate sandwiched by two plates. While on the surface it may look like he has doubled/tripled the thickness of the plate in reality he hasn't. The center plate will bend slightly and the outer two plates will ever so slightly "slide" on the center plate. For example the plate closest to the transom will slide in compression ever so slightly until they either hit the clearances on the bolts, or the compression of the two plates over comes the force bending it. The Plate towards the bow will slide in extension until the same things afore mentioned happened.
    That setup is only making things slightly more rigid through the compression of the two plates, but it's not NEARLY as strong as if it were to be one solid plate that was recessed.
    In other words it doesn't take hardly anymore force to slightly bend Go Fast Racer's setup then it does if all that stuff wasn't there. The upside to his setup though is it will bend very minimally and then it's not gonna bend no more. I.E. It's strong but it's not "rigid."
    If he wanted to drastically increase the rigidity of that setup he could take it out of the boat, put it all together, and drill and ream several precision holes down the centerline. Put some nice "press fit" dowel pins through those holes to align the plates to each other, and cancel out any linear movement, and the possibillity of the plates slightly sliding on each other when enough force to overcome the compression of the screws occurs. By removing the linear motion, you've come drastically closer to making them in fact one big plate.
    My head hurts. :squiggle:
    I agree tho.
    no braces = Flex
    GFR reinforced brackets = much less flex
    Braces or struts = no flex.

WannabeRacing
    Many of that is absolutely true.
    But one other variable is how large the holes are drilled in comparison to the size of the sholder of the bolts. (Also how square the holes are to the plate). Also if you have the sholder of the bolt through the three plates and not on the threads which break down and make slop which give room for the plates sliding.
    If the holes are very tight to the bolt, and the shoulder sits through all three plates, it is very similar to the press fit dowells that you are speaking of. Having the holes sloppy to the bolts, and the threads in the area of the plates does allow for the movement you are discussing.
    Art is a precision guy. I can bet that his set-up is basically a light press fit set of bolts in that plate. But just looking at it and then copying it with sloppy holes and improper fit would not be a ton stronger than stock.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast