Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Vdrive Plate Struts - Their Value?

lucky
    and this is why i like hot boat - you fockers are a talented bunch of homo cock suckers Nice boat candy

RiverDave
    Many of that is absolutely true.
    But one other variable is how large the holes are drilled in comparison to the size of the sholder of the bolts. (Also how square the holes are to the plate). Also if you have the sholder of the bolt through the three plates and not on the threads which break down and make slop which give room for the plates sliding.
    If the holes are very tight to the bolt, and the shoulder sits through all three plates, it is very similar to the press fit dowells that you are speaking of. Having the holes sloppy to the bolts, and the threads in the area of the plates does allow for the movement you are discussing.
    Art is a precision guy. I can bet that his set-up is basically a light press fit set of bolts in that plate. But just looking at it and then copying it with sloppy holes and improper fit would not be a ton stronger than stock.
    Again sounds good in theory, but not really true.. If that plate bent .015 forward it might only distort .002-.003 thousandths in a linear direction in the area that the bolts are in. (Which I can assure you he's more then that for clearance for bolts.) The bolts will require some clearance because if they were line - line you'd never be able to get them in the holes... That's why they need to be a "press fit" there can't be any clearances if you want a truly rigid setup. I.E. Pressed in 1/2 inch dowels..
    At the end of the day it doesn't really matter.. If the objective is to get the setup to be rigid and not to move (at all) then adding some press fit dowels around the plates will greatly increase the odds of zero flex in his setup. If the objective is to have the plates not move beyond this Point __________ and his current setup does that... Well then he's succeeded in his task.
    Like I said I dunno shit about the setup of a V-Drive nor do I pretend to know. I just know from machining over the years what's "rigid" and what is not, and currently that's not much more rigid then just the single plate. Just beyond a certain point it won't bend as far as a single plate but it will bend with minimal increase of force to a degree.
    RD

VDRIVERACING
    I'll weigh in and state that literal rigid vs. flex has room ( ) for debate, but the question I need answered is what is required for successful completion of duty without mishap...
    Some boats do not run braces at all. Still, just because they don't does not mean a benefit exists. At 800+ HP and 100MPH speeds, I need every ounce of consistency from the propulsion system I can muster because it helps me maintain control of the boat, and my bladder.
    Certainly, reducing the fore-aft "pivot" of the vdrive makes sense--now--since that movement changes the relative fore-aft position of the prop, which in turn would affect the attitude of the boat.

Lookin for Liquid
    Still not as strong as running braces, though in flat's it not quite as critical as most of the v-drive plate is down low at the load point, V-bottoms are worse when the v-drive plate is held in from up top, really giving the propshaft extra leverage to push and bend that plate. it is amazing how much any given peice of metal flexes under light or heavy loads, i hate looking at a v-drive boat without braces, just one of my pet peeves:devil:
    Looks like you have the rotational shear load covered with all the clamping and bolts but.....is that a mock up coupler I hope?

Lookin for Liquid
    I'll weigh in and state that literal rigid vs. flex has room ( ) for debate, but the question I need answered is what is required for successful completion of duty without mishap...
    Some boats do not run braces at all. Still, just because they don't does not mean a benefit exists. At 800+ HP and 100MPH speeds, I need every ounce of consistency from the propulsion system I can muster because it helps me maintain control of the boat, and my bladder.
    Certainly, reducing the fore-aft "pivot" of the vdrive makes sense--now--since that movement changes the relative fore-aft position of the prop, which in turn would affect the attitude of the boat.
    OK...this is gettin way too good here!
    About ten years ago and about 6=30 packs I actually wanted to have a sliding V-drive setup for the standing start system currently in use. I will let this take it's own path now and Mike...I will send you some asprin!

OK...this is gettin way too good here!
    About ten years ago and about 6=30 packs I actually wanted to have a sliding V-drive setup for the standing start system currently in use.
    Ballsy thought there, and I thought the Nitro Bullit was interesting with a variable strut angle
    Some guys shouldn't drink and think at the same time

msmeads1
    I like Art's set up. Keep up the good work Art. Will "get er" done soon

GofastRacer
    I can bet that his set-up is basically a light press fit set of bolts in that plate. But just looking at it and then copying it with sloppy holes and improper fit would not be a ton stronger than stock.
    Now how did you guess that,LOL, that is correct and the bolts will have a shoulder going all the way thru, two 3/8's brackets and a 3/8" plate it ain't going nowhere!..

GofastRacer
    I like Art's set up. Keep up the good work Art. Will "get er" done soon
    Thanks Jon, whenever you're ready as soon as I get Scott's boat done!..

GofastRacer
    the plate closest to the transom will slide in compression ever so slightly until they either hit the clearances on the bolts
    In other words it doesn't take hardly anymore force to slightly bend Go Fast Racer's setup then it does if all that stuff wasn't there.
    What bolt clearance???????????? were you here when I did this????????????...
    I wasn't trying to critisize your setup
    Say what????????????????
    I don't know jack shit about V-Drives
    You got that right!.....

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast