Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you remove stringers?

Mighty Thor
    I have to replace the rotten stringers in my just aquired CVX 20 and was wondering what you all use to cut them loose. They are glassed in in such a way that the outside edge is only about 1/2 inch from a chine so all cutting will have to be on the inside. can't do much with a skill saw and not sure that a sawzall would be much better. Oh, and I hate fiberglass dust already. I remember reading some ideas about keeping the stuff from itching quite so bad, but Can't remember specifics.

BigBlockBaja
    I can relate to the dust. Just got done taking out my seat mounts. Used an angle grinder. Got dust masks?
    :crossx:
    http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/7...jects379pf.jpg

use air tools if you can cuz the glass will kill electric tools but it dont sound like your doin a tremendous amount of cutting . my .02.

Mighty Thor
    I can relate to the dust. Just got done taking out my seat mounts. Used an angle grinder. Got dust masks?
    :crossx:
    What did you use on your grinder, a grinding wheel, Sanding disk, Cutoff wheel?

Mighty Thor
    use air tools if you can cuz the glass will kill electric tools but it dont sound like your doin a tremendous amount of cutting . my .02.
    Not yet, but at some point I will have to grind down to good glass to put in new stringers and I am making other changes as well. I have air die grinders, but nothing big like an angle grinder.

BigBlockBaja
    What did you use on your grinder, a grinding wheel, Sanding disk, Cutoff wheel?
    A normal grinding wheel. It made a mess, but cut through that fiberglass no problem..
    http://www.patrickhayes.org:8000/pro...rojects3-1.JPG

Not yet, but at some point I will have to grind down to good glass to put in new stringers and I am making other changes as well. I have air die grinders, but nothing big like an angle grinder.
    I have a 20' day cruiser that I am stripping all the way down and the bulk of it came out with the dewalt angle grinder but I will have to invest ($50) on a husky air angle grinder for alot of tight spot cleaning, it will be worth it in the end.

The grinding wheel that you have piced on You'r grinder is made primarily for grinding down exess built up material.Get You'r self some wheels that are made for cutting,they are thinner and cut better,then use the thicker wheels to remove the excess glass material.
    Start at the bottom of the stringer ,where it meets the hull and cut the glass just at where it is bonded to the hull glass,If You are aprehensive You can cut a little(1/8-1/4)abovethat point .Cut the entire length of the stringer,on both sides of the stringer.Use the same process at the transome.
    When finnished cutting ,You should be able to wigle the stringer ,side to side and dis lodge it.Then you can use the thicker wheel to remove the rest of the excess glass.
    Just take You'r time and cut slow and controled and You'l be fine........Hal

BigBlockBaja
    The grinding wheel that you have piced on You'r grinder is made primarily for grinding down exess built up material.Get You'r self some wheels that are made for cutting,they are thinner and cut better,then use the thicker wheels to remove the excess glass material.
    Start at the bottom of the stringer ,where it meets the hull and cut the glass just at where it is bonded to the hull glass,If You are aprehensive You can cut a little(1/8-1/4)abovethat point .Cut the entire length of the stringer,on both sides of the stringer.Use the same process at the transome.
    When finnished cutting ,You should be able to wigle the stringer ,side to side and dis lodge it.Then you can use the thicker wheel to remove the rest of the excess glass.
    Just take You'r time and cut slow and controled and You'l be fine........Hal
    Your right. I didnt have any cut off wheels and just said the hell with it and used my grinder wheels. If I had a cut off wheel, Im sure I would have less dust.

Wally_Gator
    When I did glass work on one old bat I used the 4 inch cut off wheels.
    If you use a shop vac as you grind, less glass in your skin to itch...
    Not to mention. Long sleeves..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast