Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solve this Alpha 1 problem

Ryan00TJ
    Bought a Alpha 1 over the winter to build up for a spare drive in case I grenade my primary. I bought a GLM lower gear kit with all new gears and bearings and 1.50 Heavy Duty upper gears with all new bearings. New Merc prop and vert shafts. I set it up by the Merc service manual.
    Installed on the boat and fired up on the trailer to check shift operation. Everything fine.
    Took it down to the lake to break everything in and it was fine, until it would not shift into reverse. Forward was fine. Came home pulled the lower half and disassembled. Nothing torn up, gear pattern looked great, nothing major on magnet. I then noticed the F gear needle bearing had backed out and was hitting the spool keeping the clutch from engaging the R gear.
    I figured it might not have been pressed in all the way so I pressed it in and retested today. Same thing happened, shifts fine for 5-6 shifts and then won't engage R. Pulled apart and it's the same thing.
    I've been around Alpha 1's since the early 90's but this has me stumped. Nothing contacts the needle bearing to push it out. If you replace the bearing per the service manual you have to cut it out. I can only guess that either the needle bearing is undersized or the gear is oversize and the bearing works it's way out?
    What are my options? What could cause this?

DMOORE
    Get a mic reading on your bearing. Then see if a dealer has another so you can mic it. Could possibly be wrong size. Even if it was off by just a few thou, it may not have enough friction to hold in place.
    Darrell.

BDMar
    Call GLM. The bearing should press in tight. Like Darrell said, either the bearing is undersize or the gear bore is oversize.

Ryan00TJ
    It's loose enough that I could push it out with little pressure so it must be a oversize gear. I talked to a former Merc tech that's friends with my Father and he said to try Permatex Bearing Mount and reseat. He said he has used it in the past and it's never failed on him. I'm going to get some and reseat the bearing and go from there.

pocketchange 22
    Dude, quit goofingaround, and buy a BRAVO 1. when the smoke is settled, and parts are salvaged from the bottom of the lake you will be money ahead.
    i spoke to you a few months ago, broke down and went to BRAVO>it"s a cake walk to change out.
    get a raw H20 pump, 2 xtra holes on transom, can get template from mercruiser for about $2.00 (besides transom plates) you'll thank yourself in the long run. For the xtra $ it is worth it. (this is only my 2 cents) just trying to help. :devil:

BDMar
    It's loose enough that I could push it out with little pressure so it must be a oversize gear. I talked to a former Merc tech that's friends with my Father and he said to try Permatex Bearing Mount and reseat. He said he has used it in the past and it's never failed on him. I'm going to get some and reseat the bearing and go from there.
    DO NOT EPOXY THE BEARING IN THE GEAR!!! I don't know any Merc Tech that would advise that. We are a Merc Premier Dealer, and one of our specialties is drives. Permatex bearing mount is designed for added locking on a press fit bearing. Yours is not a press fit. You have a defective part that was purchased from GLM. You paid good money for that lower unit. Call them and get a replacement gear and bearing.

filthyrat
    Re: Bravo 1 drive, when you changed over from the Alpha did you notice any speed loss?? I have the pre-alpha in an 82 Eliminator and have been running 420 HP for two summers and need to upgrade the drive before this one blows. I would also like to add some more muscle, but cna't due to the drive. Any loss?? I have heard that it produces moare drag and the weight slow down a boat with a previous Alpha. Watch y'all think.

BDMar
    Re: Bravo 1 drive, when you changed over from the Alpha did you notice any speed loss?? I have the pre-alpha in an 82 Eliminator and have been running 420 HP for two summers and need to upgrade the drive before this one blows. I would also like to add some more muscle, but cna't due to the drive. Any loss?? I have heard that it produces moare drag and the weight slow down a boat with a previous Alpha. Watch y'all think.
    He didn't change to a Bravo, he bought an aftermarket gear kit for his Alpha. To answer your question, yes you will loose a little speed. How much depends on the boat, horsepower, torque, etc. The Bravo takes a little more power to turn and has more surface area. The question is how much speed are you willing to sacrifice for reliability?
    Usually the driveshaft will break at the o-ring groove in your model Alpha.

filthyrat
    So judging by me having a 21' eliminator daycruiser, small block @ 420-450 HP, wanting to increase HP at some point, and having the Pre Alpha 260 drive, what would be your reccomendations. I do walk the fine line between reliability and speed, but isnt that what boats are for. I would have to err on the side of speed though. nay help is appreciated.

BDMar
    If you have a true 420 to 450 HP I am guessing that it is larger cubic inch... like maybe a 383?? If so it has more torque than say a 350. The speed loss would be less with more torque..... so I would recommend the Bravo based on the fact that you want to increase the HP even more in the future. A big block swap is is now possible with the Bravo. You can probalby make up for the speed loss by installing the drive a little higher and a good nose cone when you make the swap. 1" can be accomplished with very little glsss work as long as the transom permits.
    You will need the transom assy complete with trim pump as well as the drive. I would also recommend upgrading the coupler at the same time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast