Thread: Plumbing an intercooler

Speedin' Ian
    We just installed a new motor in our flat and I am trying to get the plumbing sorted out. Our old motor was not injected or intercooled so we ran a standard pump off the cam, but now with the enderle set-up we are running the fuel pump off of the cam. I know we can get a water pump that mounts under the fuel pump, but can we run both the intercooler and motor with this one pump? I was thinking about running a line from the pump straight to the intercooler and then running the return into the block. Do you think the intercooler would pre-heat the water too much?
    What do you guys recommend?

Schiada76
    Jonh (J540) is real close to getting some pumps done. He has his order in with his machinist. I'm getting one with the two chambers. He plumbs his with one line to the chiller and then a dump the other line to the block and headers. Some people say that plumbing the pump to the chiller cools the fuel too much when idling and the fuel will puddle on the chiller. Don't know how you would be able to tell that though.
    I don't think you ned to worry about ideling that thing around too much anyway.
    PM John tell him you want one the pumps.

Prop Rod
    What about force feeding the intercooler only, than over board? Seems to work good for us.

Speedin' Ian
    I all ready put a pm into J540, just waiting to hear back from him

Schiada76
    I all ready put a pm into J540, just waiting to hear back from him
    I'll call him right now. PM him again and tell him I said he is BIOTCH!

VD CRUISER
    I force feed mine with a #12 pickup on the cav plate and a # 10 coming out, to a tee , where one line goes overboard and the other goes to the trans cooler and on to the v-drive, and dumps in the shaft log. Oh yea, I have a relief valve on the inlet side so as not to over pressurize the core. Every thing works fine.

P-Money
    -16 off the cav plate in, two -12 dumping overboard

MKEELINE
    1 -16 in 2-12 out, force fed. I was told by Brummett and Richard Lee that you want to match the size of the line going in with the line coming out.

superdave013
    the problem with force feeding them on drag boats is they soak so much heat at the holding rope. I ran a small elect pump to move some water through it right before I'd leave. I did have a bypass line with a check valve around the pump so it would force feed when running.
    Test out this heat soak idea yourself. Warm your engine like you would before making a pass. Shut if off for a half an hour or so. Then hit the elect pump and feel how hot the first slug of water is. It's hot enough to burn you.
    It cools down right away but your boat will leave better if it does not have an intercooler full of hot water when you mash the gas.
    Don't even sweat the fuel puddling idea. Your injected deal is going to idle a 2K + anyway so it won't be a problem.