Thread: jet conversion

Statue
    Hey guys, I was wondering if you know of a place in SoCal that will install a jet pump into my 1995 21'8" lavey craft sebring. The boat was originally equipped with an outboard but it is a theft recovery so all of the engine and rigging is gone. I have a really healthy 460, 12JC? pump and all of the water logs etc to make it functional. just looking for someone who knows where to cut the holes and make sure nothing leaks. All info is appreciated.
    Wes

flat broke
    Before anyone cuts a hole in a boat that was primarilly designed to have whacker power, you might want to take some basic measurements and make sure a jet install will even work. It is possible that because the motor sits lower in a jet install compared to an I/O setup, the engine might not physically clear the tunnels etc.
    I'm for the most part what you would call a jet guy, but that hull is a proven setup with a whacker. You might be better off selling the 460 and JC and finding a used outboard setup to run in it.
    My first step would be to talk to the guys at Lavey, and see if they even offered the boat as an I/O and if so, did they ever do any jet drive installs.
    Chris

455Rocket
    Go for an outboard... sometimes I wish I did (but don't tell anyone here )

HBjet
    I could be wrong, but I believe Lavey has a different plug for their jet hulls. I think they are designed to be used with the insert style pump. Not saying yours can't be converted, just something to think about.
    If I was in your shoes, I would call Lavey Craft and explain the situation. Then contact a shop who installs jets and knows what they are doing.
    You never know, Lavey might offer to do the work at a good rate or even hook you up with an outboard. I know that company really takes care of their customers. If I was to purchase a new custom big boat, Lavey would be one of the first places I go. Solid work!
    HBjet

ck7684
    Better yet sell the boat and the 460 and find a jet hull and a 454

Jspeeddemon
    I know one issue is that jets push from the bottom not the transom, so the the area around the water intake will have to be strong enough to handle it.

centerhill condor
    by the time you spend the money on this, if possible, you could have a nice outboard and likely a new boat! good luck.