Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Got My New Engine!

steelcomp
    Het Steelcomp, if he wants to take his motor to be dynoed thats his call and i don't think anything you or i say will really affect that. You feel happy with your dyno tune, i'm happy with tunning mine to the boat. I think that its probibly a pretty even split between those who like it dynoed and those who like to tune it in the boat. But just for arguement sakes, why do alot of car race teams dyno tune there motors and then chassie dyno them and often find 25-75hp or so at the rear tires, after the motor was tunned on a motor dyno? Do ya think that maybe dyno rooms and real world don't always work out the same? are you so happy with the dyno tune on your motor that you just bolt it in your boat and leave it alone? You don't try to further tune it. Just curious, ever think you might be leaveing some hp on the table?I like this...the more questions you ask, the less you seem to know.
    How many jet boats do you know trhat have rear tires, or a chassis? :notam: I don't see how that relates to dynoing a jet boat engine, and in fact, chassis tuning and dyno tuning (for HP) are two completely seperate things.
    Yes, I'm very happy with the dyno tune on my engine. What you seem to be leaving out is the fact that a jet pump is basically a dyno, or water brake. Other than the weather (or DA) what you get on the dyno with a jet boat engine, is what you're going to get in your boat. If I'm racing at a DA of 2784', and it's near 84 deg., then I know just exactly what power I'm making. Those were the conditiond in the dyno room. Keeping an eye on the weather, I can adjust from there, and always have a good idea of what the power is, and how to tune. That's just part of racing, and pretty much how it's done. There's no driveline, there's no gears, there's no parasitic anything on a jet. You're not going to tune for optimum on the dyno, and then "chassis tune" a jet boat. My tune is what it is, and I built everything else around that power. Smart as you're trying to sound, I figured you knew that.
    Stop arguing about something you know so little about.

steelcomp
    The word "guessing" has been used for when a dyno isnt used. How much guessing is there really? If you know what your heads flow, cam size, cubic inch, compression, etc, then you should have a pretty good idea of what you are shooting for to begin with. As I said previously, it all changes once its in the boat. Sure there is hidden power that can be found on a dyno, but unless you are used to working with one, arent ready to make changes, and do not have your engine builder/tuner with you and a gain of parts (ie. different headers, carbs and associated parts, ignition parts, possibly different cams) what good is it? You can change the timing while in the boat. If there is a leak, then fix it. Check the plugs to see the rich/ lean of the carbs. Can your fuel system efficiency be checked on the dyno? No! Engine temp going to be the same in the boat as on the dyno, probably not. Water through the headers ran on the dyno? The list goes on.
    Ive both used a dyno and not. For me it has always worked out in the end. Im neither for or against, no matter what you do there is always work after it is installed.
    Good luck and enjoyYou and FILUCKY must be drinkin the same Koolaid, 'cause neither of you know what the hell you're talking about.
    Sure there is hidden power that can be found on a dyno, but unless you are used to working with one, arent ready to make changes, and do not have your engine builder/tuner with you and a gain of parts (ie. different headers, carbs and associated parts, ignition parts, possibly different cams) what good is it? I don't know too many dyno operators that are just going to let some guy come in and use the dyno. Typically, that's what you pay for. LIke everything else, there are good, and bad operators, so doing a little homework is always a good idea when someone decides to dyno an engine. It would be pointless to NOT have your engine builder there...that's the whole purpose. What do you expect, just hang out and burn some gas? Drink some beers, eat a pizza, and call it good? LOL...C'mon, get real. If you want to argue, argue about something you understand. If that's your idea of a dyno session, you could just use a break-in stand.
    Can your fuel system efficiency be checked on the dyno? No! Engine temp going to be the same in the boat as on the dyno, probably not. Water through the headers ran on the dyno?Fuel effeciency? You mean fuel system effeciency, as in a/f ratio, or ex temp? Maybe Lamda? Ever heard of an 02 sensor? How about BSFC? (Brake specific fuel consumption) I guess the answer to your question, is go ahead...check your plugs. I'd bet a weeks pay you really don't even know how. Engine temp can be anything you want it to be on the dyno...that's part of the simulation. Hell, there are dynos that can simulate G forces...I think they figured out engine temp. Water through the headers? How hard is that?
    You've never even been in a ryno room, have you.

Bailey
    Wow, didn't mean to start any arguenments. Yes Dan didn't think I was going in this direction when I started. The motor was built for a jet boat and was built to make hp to 6000rpm. Used the edelbrock heads because thats what the builder wanted to use. I know theres other heads outthere but Ive seen good results from the edelbrocks. Not racing the boat just for fun.

camoman
    Not racing the boat just for fun.
    That says it all

pw_Tony
    Where did the valve covers from. Those are very nice

wickedfab
    ebay= 700 hp 150mph jet
    craigslist=650 hp 130mph flat bottom jet
    ***boat=impeller aa cut 650hp 110 mph @6000rpm
    to dyno or not=priceless

nice lookin motor
    the distributors on the wrong side though

BrendellaJet
    Not racing the boat just for fun.
    That says it all
    Racing is fun!

Wow, didn't mean to start any arguements.
    I can't believe you came in here stirring the proverbial pot like that.

Bailey
    Valve covers came from Ford Perfomance Solutions in LA.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910