Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holley carb rebuild kit

Kerny
    my boat sat out in the sun for two years before i bought it. it came with a 1973 ford 460, and a holley carb. i have no idea what size carb i have. there are a few set of numbers but none saying 650 750 etc. here are the numbers i found. on top by the barrels 6r-4902b,
    on the left side r65, on the right side r67, and on the front d4jl-9510j list-7128. any help would be great. and also if anyone knows where i can pick up a good cheap rebuild kit out near upland ca that would be great.
    thanks
    anthony

Moneypitt
    Kerney, First, there is no such thing as a
    "GOOD", "CHEAP" rebuild kit. This is especially true when it comes to holleys. The stories you hear about those ^*#% holleys are usually the results of bullshit rebuild kits. I don't know offhand what a list 7128 is, the 9510 is part of a ford part#. If you are going to rebuild it, get a holley brand rebuild kit. They cost a little more, but it is money well spent. If you don't have experience with carbs, holleys in particular, buy the holley book by HP books and read it cover to cover before you start the rebuild....Also, I think this is a ford factory carb for that motor, try to use it if you can. Don't be fooled into a 650, 660, 750, 780 etc. Ford engineers worked hard to come up with the best carb to use on that engine, so don't jump to change it too quickly....Again, good and cheap do not go together when describing carb kits....Moneypitt

HalletDave
    Kerny check out this site for list # to carb model MORTEC
    Hope it helps you.
    Hallett Dave

Blown 472
    And dont get one of those pos barry grant kits, the gaskets suck, the needles for the discharge nozzles are alum and move up and down on their own, buy a holley kit.

Hotcrusader76
    Kerny:
    my boat sat out in the sun for two years before i bought it. it came with a 1973 ford 460, and a holley carb. i have no idea what size carb i have. there are a few set of numbers but none saying 650 750 etc. here are the numbers i found. on top by the barrels 6r-4902b,
    on the left side r65, on the right side r67, and on the front d4jl-9510j list-7128. any help would be great. and also if anyone knows where i can pick up a good cheap rebuild kit out near upland ca that would be great.
    thanks
    anthony Kerney,
    This carburetor is a Ford Marine engine 1850 style carburetor made specifically for Ford Motorsport. It's most likely rated at 650cfm with a rear jetting plate, and reversed throttleshafts. Does the primary throttleshaft look like a diamond shape, vice the standard Holley types?
    Either way it was made specifically for the 460 motor.
    Good luck.
    ~Ty

The list #7128 is for a 460 marine engine and judging by the jetting it is most likely a 750 CFM. Primary jetting is 72 and the sec metering plate should be #46 [.082" main feed and .031 idle feed]

Hotcrusader76
    You could very well be right. I wasn't able to get a cfm number and the venturi size won't pop up either. I know the throttlebody is a 1 11/16" size, but the venturi makes or breaks the cfm number.
    Do you have that spec?
    ~Ty

The throttle plate is a #172 so if the boosters aren't flanged it should be a 750. I don't have the venturi bore dia. as this is a rather obscure carb. Fords used anything from 715 cfm to 800 cfm on marine/performance engines with a single carb.

Hotcrusader76
    058:
    The throttle plate is a #172 so if the boosters aren't flanged it should be a 750. I don't have the venturi bore dia. as this is a rather obscure carb. Fords used anything from 715 cfm to 800 cfm on marine/performance engines with a single carb. Yeah the 172 and 173 plates are 1 11/16" in size. All 650-800 carburetors come with these size bases.
    I did this Ford Motorsport Marine Holley last year for a fellow forum guy. It was a small 650 on a BBF. Go figure...
    Alot of these list numbers won't cross-reference. I had a lead on a manual that listed them all (hybrid Holleys, Ford Motorsport, etc) from Marty over @ QFT but he never found it. Damn the competition...LMAO.

When no other info. or specs. are available jetting is about the only clue to the airflow of the carb. I know its not an exacting science but when ya got nothing else to go on....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast