Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you seal your transom adaptor?

Wally_Gator
    For those not running set back pumps, how do you seal your transom adapter?
    Do you use silicone or the gasket?

Wicked Performance Boats
    use silicone

Squirtin Thunder
    I use the gasket and a little 3M 5200 on the transum adapter and then gasket to transum I use K&N sealing grease. This way you can remove it easy if needed. Sillycone is ugly and always leaks in time. Keep it clean and neat !!!

AZKC
    I Don't. But I run a Panther :crossx:

Wally_Gator
    I will post the reason why I asked after the Super Bowl.
    Visited the Boat show today and I disagree with something a vendor was telling a potential buyer...

Brooski
    I use silicone.

Wicked Performance Boats
    I use the gasket and a little 3M 5200 on the transum adapter and then gasket to transum I use K&N sealing grease. This way you can remove it easy if needed. Sillycone is ugly and always leaks in time. Keep it clean and neat !!!
    ST, Is that like KY Jelly? Budlight

Squirtin Thunder
    Nope not one bit.

inwo
    Just put my fiberglass Dominator adaptor on with black tape caulk. This stuff is super sticky. Had to use an ice cube as a putty knife. (sticks to fingers)
    Almost broke it after using silicon last time. Don't want to go thru that again!
    And a gasket won't work well with the less than perfect surface.
    Only time will tell how this works in the heat. If it doesn't soften up, I'm thinking it will be great. It comes in dif colors, and in foot long strips. Put three strips all the way around. Counter sunk bolt holes, and ground a thin groove (like O ring groove) all the way around intersecting the bolt holes. This is kind of like setting a sink. (plumbing mode off)
    As I tightened the adapter the caulk oozed out and trimmed up super easy and cleanly.
    This worked so sweet, that I decided to try it on the adaptor to bowl gap also. It is just like putting silicon in, but without the mess. You can keep kneading and molding it until it makes a nice bead. If the stickiness gets to be a problem, I figure on giving it a thin coat of paint or silicon to seal it.
    Now if I screwed up my pump rebuild it will come out easy.

spectras only
    Visited the Boat show today and I disagree with something a vendor was telling a potential buyer...
    Let me guess :idea: . He told him not to use silicon or any adhesive .
    I never used any myself.If the transom surface straight and clean the rubber seal does the job. Same with the "O' ring on the bowl .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast