Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you seal your transom adaptor?

I've always used a little silicone (keyword here being a "little"). Too much you play hell getting them off. 3M 5200 is great stuff but way overkill IMO for this ap, very hard to get apart without breaking things. All you're doing is sealing water out. Good marine grade silicone (like Boatlife), not the home depot household crap.

Wally_Gator
    Ok....
    A certain unamed vendor at the boat show was telling some guy about a Berkeley pump and how to seal it. I mentioned the use of marine grade silicone due to the surface of older boats not being perfect for the gasket. This "Parts guy" starts to let into me and says how easy the o-ring is to install and all. I just walked away laughing. It is obvious he was never on the working end of a transom adapter in real life.

spectras only
    WG , all I use on the "O" ring is vaseline and the transom plate just slides over. :idea:

spectras only
    Mike , I need 4 drinkholders [ red] and you state ano and permacoat ones on your site. What's the diff ? Dave has a bunch of the bigger sizes but I need the smaller ones [ 3 3/8] . He'll be back from mexico on tuesday and I want to order them then.

I use the gasket and a little 3M 5200 on the transum adapter and then gasket to transum I use K&N sealing grease. This way you can remove it easy if needed. Sillycone is ugly and always leaks in time. Keep it clean and neat !!!
    3m 5200 and the word easy do not belong in the same post. I hate that stuff.Its the wrong stuff for transom adapters.Window and door silicone is the stuff to use.

YeLLowBoaT
    you know 3M makes some stuff that eats siclone for breafest....I have used it alot... I also use it for work when I need to re cualk something( IE around a tub) makes the job ez

Squirtin Thunder
    Nope works perfect. All that your ataching is the gasket to the adapter. Now if you have to remove the gasket from the adapter it is a bitch. But in 20 years they won't have jet drive boats anyway. They will have Jet Boats.

BigBlockBaja
    WG , all I use on the "O" ring is vaseline and the transom plate just slides over. :idea:
    This turned GAY fast!!!!!

spectras only
    This turned GAY fast!!!!!
    Do you want me to use KY-jelly instead :rollside:

Nope works perfect.
    Whatever you say, your the expert Jim.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast