Thread: How much compressoin can I run.

Licketty Split
    How much compression can I get away with running AV-gas ?

West Coast Dave
    How much is Av gas by the gallon and what is the octane? We use 110 octane Unocal race gas, buy it by the barrel and it's only approx. $3.50 a gallon. We run a 14:1 engine w/ 38 deg advance w/ no problems.

vdriveride
    I have an LS 7 with 12.5 to 1 with 38 degrees and have been okay. I do try and run some 110 race gas just to be safe..........

Froggystyle
    Av gas is around $2.30 a gallon, and readily available in AZ. I now run 100 every time I am in Havasu for $2.00 a gallon at Terribles or the other one next to it.
    I think the Av-Gas we are speaking of is 100 octane low lead.

mister460
    How much comp. you can run is dependant on a LOT of things. I run about 11:1 in my truck and it digests anything. But then again I've polished the piston tops and chambers, run a zero deck height (for as much quench as possible) and have my timing set at 36 total. Also, I run a pretty decent size cam. BTW it's a 460. Things like fuel/air ratio, cam duration, timing, heat range of plugs, intake air temp. etc all come into play. With 100 LL you should be able to run a pretty stout comp. ratio. Just remember that it IS leaded gas and you can't run it with an O2 sensor (just in case you have a setup that uses one). Hope that helps some. Tell us more about your setup and we can help. Good luck!

DEEZ NUTTS
    Yo Licketty, what are you buildin??

Licketty Split
    455 Olds-mo-bubble with Flat-tops, Possibly Battens. 250 @.050 der. .550 lift 112 centers tunnel ram with a 950hp holley and bassetts.
    thx Every one for your input.
    Deez give me a call and we can sink some beers in the snow

Russ
    Av-gas is a little lighter than auto-gas...You have to jet your carb up a step or two or you can run lean.....I run 2 parts 91 auto to 1 part 100 av in my 10:1 347ci....If I run to much av it didn't like to idle without changing the timing.....
    Russ...

72Spectra
    Russ is absolutley correct about AV-Gas being lighter. So open up those Jets and Read those plugs. Your a lucky one to be able to get 100LL The airports round here wont let a drop of the Blue stuff out unless it has wings on it.