Thread: 1 x 6 stringers?

5/8 hondo
    I am looking to replace my Hondo with a newer boat and found "Pocket Change" on Dante's site for sale. My runner bottom s a fairly light lay-up probably around 475-500lb range and it has held up well as a lake boat. I was wondering what everybodys opinion on how a 1 x 6 stringer runner would hold up as a lake boat. The boat is a M/C runner, was taken from a TR2 mold and the bottom has been blueprinted by Bobby Hewitt. Boat ran BGF low 8 sec at 140+. Any input is appreciated.

What is the weight of the new hull? That is more of a factor than the size of the stringers. The strength of the stringers comes from the heigth for the most part. There are alot of boats running around with 1x6 stringers that have held up fine.

5/8 hondo
    The boat is advertised as a 450# lay-up. Thanks for the reply.

5/8 hondo
    Nobody has anymore thoughts on this. This will probably be the deciding factor on the purchase.

The Hondo I had was a 650-750lb lay up with 2x6 stringers. That hull was rock solid. Most of the hulls built with the 1x6 stringers are built using a lighter schedule lay-up and intended for racing. The hull I have now has the 1x6 stringers and weighs 490lbs. I will be running the new boat on the river and local lake. The weight of the hull will be a factor depending on water conditions. There are many hulls out there that are advertised as light weight but have not been on a scale. If you are looking for a fast lake/river boat and it is truly 450lbs respect it at all times. The newer hulls are usually made with materials that are stronger than the old school stuff and that can make a difference.

WannabeRacing
    I spent lots of time speaking with people that did nothing but lay up boats for their entire lives. Mostly the guys that did biesemeyer, and other circle style hulls. Almost every one spoke the same thing. The taller the stringer, the more strength it will have. The wider the stringer, the more weight you just threw into the boat for no reason.
    Out minds decieve us a little there. In boat building history, when someone was building a heavy lay-up lake boat, they would go with 2x stuff. And light lay-ups with the 1x. But way more went into the lay-up and what covered that stringer. So our minds tend to think that the 2x is better for strength when it is really the lay-up and what is over that stringer.
    When you get into the new trick boats, the stringer does not even exist. It is there just to hold the layers apart from eachother. Foam stringers, balsa stringers, nidacore stringers. As long as you put enough material, and the right material over the stringer, a 1x6 would be way more strength that that boat would ever need or want.
    Just one mans opinion.

when You are refering to the 1x6 and 2x6 stringers ,is the wood the typical 3/4 wood(for 1x6) and 1 1/2" wood (for 2x6) with 4 layers of glass making up 1/4" or is the wood its self actually milled to 1" and 2".Thank's....Hal

BrendellaJet
    My boat has 1 inch stringers. Thing is a tank. weight is 650-700. 1 inchers are plenty strong.