Thread: Leaking Trim Cylinders

laveycrafter
    Last weekend I noticed a little trim fluid on the garage floor, thought nothing of it since it's been sitting for 6 months. Ran good, trimmed fine, but when I took it out of the water I noticed milky oil near the pistons of the cylinders. So I am sure I have a small leak. I checked the resevoir, and no milk there. So I guess I have to get a seal kit for the cylinders? Any do-it-yourselfers out there attempted this? Am I on the right track?

Ryan00TJ
    Knocking on wood as I type i'm still on my original 1992 trim cylinders! Merc and most vendors sell a overhaul kit to rebuild the trim cylinders. I've also overheard a few conversations that guys have taken their leaking rams to the nearest shop that deals with hydraulic repairs and have had them done there. They are a very simple principle but I cannot seem to find the correct tool to get them apart. I've looked and can't seem to find any vendors selling one or a Merc part number.
    I would overhaul the rams and go from there.

BDMar
    This is one of those projects I recommend taking to a Merc qualified shop. They are not that difficult, however there are a few things that experience helps.

Rayhill
    I am definately not a professional, but I try hard. About 15 years ago I purchased a rebuild kit for my trim cylinders. Still work fine and leak proof today. The kit came with end caps, O-rings and Unpainted housings. I used a couple of those strap wrenches to get the original housings off. The only regret I have is that I painted the housings red. I write that moment off as young and dumb! Now I must be too old and lazy to paint them black.
    Here is a cool website that has all the parts you need. http://www.mercstuff.com/page05.htm
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1176254357

BOBALOO
    This is one of those projects I recommend taking to a Merc qualified shop. They are not that difficult, however there are a few things that experience helps.
    You better get off HB and get your boat ready. Summer's comin

BDMar
    You better get off HB and get your boat ready. Summer's comin
    Hahaha no kidding! That thing has parts all over the shop!! It takes a back seat to work so it's going slow