Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do about trying to by a used car...

PHX ATC
    We've found a used Escalade in La Jolla that my wife really likes. I found it in cars.com and emailed the lady last Wednesday. I asked her for more pictures and she responded Thursday night with a few more pictures. I called her and left her a message Friday morning. She emails back that her husband will call me. She follows it up with an email to call her husband and leaves his number. I call him Friday night and leave a message.
    Saturday morning I call him again and again, a message. He did call back (when I was cutting the grass DOH) and left me a message. I immediatly called him back within 10 minutes and again, left a message. I called him Sunday twice and left a message (I do realize it was Easter and a Sunday).
    I left him a message this morning asking him to call me and emailed him that I wanted to make an offer on his Escalade, but wanted to do it over the phone instead of over email. I guess that's an old school thing. He never called back, so I emailed him the offer along with a few questions, at noon today. I have not heard back.
    I hate to be a nag or irritate them, but geez, if this guy wants to sell his wife's Escalade, then the least he could do is return an email or answer his voicemail. What gives?
    I'm not desparate to purchase this exact one, but it is nice and close. I want to email him or call him and ask him if he really wants to sell it as he's being a rude jackass by not returning my calls and even attempting to chat with me about it. I resorted to email and he doesn't even return those.
    Are there anymore options? Any last tactics? Should I give up? Again, I'm not married to this exact vehicle, but it's sorta driving me nuts and if he's stringing me along being a prick, then it's the least I can do by filling up his voicemail and email inbox with requests!
    EDIT: There's been 2 REALLY cool peeps on here that have run VIN searches and a CARFAX for me and taken time out of their busy day to help me out. I think that's what helps drive me figure this jackass out too! Thanks a million to the 2 fellas (you know who you are) who helped me out...way cool!

RiverDave
    Do you live down here in San Diego?
    If your out in AZ, then write him an e-mail that you'd like to have a friend go buy and just take a look at the car. PM me an a cell phone # and I'll swing by and take a look at it for you to make sure it is what it is kinda thing.
    Maybe he'd take it more serious and not just another tire kicker if someone offered to show up in person?
    Either way I have to head down that way this week anyways, so if I can help out shoot me a PM.
    RD

BajaMike
    Sounds like a divorce situation.....I would stay clear....who needs more drama in your life, when just buying a car.
    I would go to a dealer just because of BS like that.....who needs it, pay a little more and get the confort of dealing with professionals....
    And, personally, I never, ever, call someone back who does not return a phone call the first time....they no longer exist in my world.
    :idea:

Jordy
    Ahhh, Cadillac Cowboys down in Queen Creek, and shit...
    Then again, I'm guessing this is the MB replacement. Baller.

RaceFace
    I read almost the same situation in the SPAM section this morning about a Suburban......and possible trade for a Toyota. I don't get it....either advertise your s**t and sell it or STFU! I have never believed in "testing the market".
    If you're gonna step up to the plate and advertise, then CUT THE CORD and SELL!!
    Just my .02ยข

Outnumbered
    I feel your pain. I have not bought used in quite a few years but back in the day that was what I always did. I cannot remember it ever being this much of a pain in the ass. I think it has a lot to do with the economy slowing and people living in the past. Same thing is happening with houses. People still think it is 2005. People remember the last car they sold a few years ago and think it is still the same demand. I am at the point that I just may buy/lease new again. I just hate to drop that kind of coin on a new rig that will be worth $15k less in 12 months

RaceFace
    I feel your pain. I have not bought used in quite a few years but back in the day that was what I always did. I cannot remember it ever being this much of a pain in the ass. I think it has a lot to do with the economy slowing and people living in the past. Same thing is happening with houses. People still think it is 2005. People remember the last car they sold a few years ago and think it is still the same demand. I am at the point that I just may buy/lease new again. I just hate to drop that kind of coin on a new rig that will be worth $15k less in 12 months
    Hey Outnumbered, you were the one that got jacked. Sorry to hear it. You are right about the economy and living in the past....but people need to realize that something is only worth what someone will pay for it....houses, cars, etc.

Outnumbered
    Hey Outnumbered, you were the one that got jacked. Sorry to hear it. You are right about the economy and living in the past....but people need to realize that something is only worth what someone will pay for it....houses, cars, etc.
    That would be me. Although Gay4play's price was very fair he ended up being a tease with a lot of excuses on why he could not sell his rig. It sucks but I'll live

locogringo
    Toby;
    This is what i would do.
    Send him a new offer about 15k higher than what he wants for it. Tell him you have cash and want to buy it today.
    Then, I am sure he will be calling you non-stop. This time, don't return HIS calls and let him deal with the frustration.
    I'd go find one somewhere else if the guy was that hard to get ahold of.
    Good luck on that. Hope teh pony riding is going well in AZ.
    Daniel

Outnumbered
    Toby;
    This is what i would do.
    Send him a new offer about 15k higher than what he wants for it. Tell him you have cash and want to buy it today.
    Then, I am sure he will be calling you non-stop. This time, don't return HIS calls and let him deal with the frustration.
    I'd go find one somewhere else if the guy was that hard to get ahold of.
    Good luck on that. Hope teh pony riding is going well in AZ.
    Daniel
    This wasn't Toby. This was Gay4play AKA James AKA 4Day4play. Toby (Tobtek) was cool; he made me a sweet offer to sell but I would have to put too much into it to swap out the bucket's for the bench. So I passed on his deal.
    I like your idea though:devil:
    John

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast