Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic coated headers and why only wet headers??

Flat Happy
    My cousin just bought a '72 Sanger Flatbottom w/454 and Bassett headers. We were out boating around this past weekend and stumbled on these two ??'s.
    1) Are ceramic coated headers popular in the V-drive world? Is so, how much does the coating cost? this coating is popluar with muscle cars, but what about boats? The chrome (or is it nickel?) finish of the Bassett headers is sweet, just wondering about the ceramic coating.
    2) Why are only water injected headers allowed on most bodies of water? Is it noise, or safety or what?
    Thanks for any insight to my questions.
    Alan

Riptide01
    Noise.

burtandnancy
    And HEAT! Had a set of dry manifolds on a Rayson and damned burned it down. They'll melt everything withing 5 feet.

Sangster
    Alot of people are using jet-coating ....Its not that much $$, but it does not tarnish & it cools quick..

bkegan
    I've had dry bassetts with Jet Hot ceramic on my 1963 16ft Mandella Flat for the past 1 1/2 seasons with good results! They make heat but cool very quickly and look very nice.
    The only problem I have is that they are very vocal. I am running the Bassett stainless baffles which are supposed to be run wet.
    I had them coated by Jet Hot in Arizona for about $450.00 The state of oregon does NOT require headers to be water injected (I checked the boating regs) however they do have a noise limit of 92db on boats older than 1989 and 88db on newer boats. I don't think they meet these noise limits while running dry.

HM
    Jet ceramic coating is becoming more popular. I am going to get mine done, but a little less than $450! More like $180.
    The reason I am going to jet coating is for maintenance. The jet ceramic coating is easier to take care of than the chrome. You don't get the blueing, and they are not "shiny" so water spots are easier to manage and clean. Heat is not an issue for me as I run wet at speed and idle dry - I don't use the "T" from Bassett, I have a control valve under the driver's seat. When I run wet, I am barely wet - you can barely see the moisture from inside the boat and you can't see it at all from a distance - but it is enough to drop a couple decibles to keep me legal.

Cole Man II
    HolyMoly,
    Where can you get headers stripped and coated for one hundred eighty dollars? This sounds like a great deal.
    Cole Man II

HM
    A buddy of mine has a hook-up and claims I can get it done for $90 a side......I will find out if that is for real within a couple of weeks.
    We did not talk about (the cost of) stripping the chrome off.
    I will let you know after all is said and done.

78Eliminator
    Riptide01:
    Noise.Hey riptide, let me drive that boat in your avatar

HM
    78Eliminator:
    Riptide01:
    Noise.Hey riptide, let me drive that boat in your avatar Justin, I don't think you would know how - it has a prop and no timing problems! J/K!!
    Actually, when you get your rocket running right, you might get a similar photo!
    [ August 16, 2002, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: HolyMoly ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast