Thread: Vegas.....

Jbb
    The Early Days (http://www.earlyvegas.com/)

Tom Brown
    Great link, Brian. Holy cow, 1977 doesn't seem so long ago. It really takes me back.
    Friends of our family used to go to Vegas every winter. That was before there were a lot of snowbirds. These people were extremely wealthy and it was part of what seemed like an extravagant lifestyle. Each year, when they returned, we'd go over to their place, watch their slides, and swim in their pool.
    That was back in the days that my parents would give my oldest brother used clothes they would acquire through various means. As he outgrew they clothes, they would be handed down.
    We would watch the slides and listen to the Vegas stories in partial disbelief. Free drinks. Bright lights everywhere. Lush grass in the desert.
    My parents saved for for a few years and one day we went to Vegas, Disney Land, etc. That day was in 1977.
    You know... these kids now days don't appreciate what it's like to have to work, save, and struggle to get even the smallest luxuries. They don't respect what we had to go through when we were young. No respect, I tell ya. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif

moneypit
    Tough times indeed tom... I also remember going toVegas as a kid. The ol' Silver Slipper... I remember what it was like not be able to afford things...My Dad' idea of a Vegas trip was pack me and my older brother with Mom and take the Lance Camper out to the back parking lot of the Circus Circus. Hell, the rooms were cheap, but I guess he figured us kids were just as well in the Camper.
    I will never forget one night when he came to the truck after a late night of the poker room. The ol' Man smoked Pall Mall non filters until a bad case of coccidioidomycosis (Valley Fever). That shit couldn't kill him either. Anyway, when he came back to the camper, my brother got the bright idea to tell my Dad that I dropped the cap to the toothpaste down the drain of the sink. The lessoned I learned that night about dropping the toothpaste cap down the drain was memorable. To this day, I have never dropped the cap again...My memories of early vegas are in black and white...

DaddyMack
    I grew up here... third generation. Family came in 1931... dad grew up here too... 1977 I was a freshman in high school...

Tom Brown
    Great memories, MP.
    The first time I went to Vegas in 1977, my family went down in a 9' Okanagan truck camper. There were six of us.
    My original story was a little selective. I'm the youngest of four children. My next oldest brother is 5 years older than me. When I was an infant, my parents were poor. I'm talking about sometimes we didn't eat kinda poor. No new clothes, etc., etc. Then my Dad started a business in 1972. Things got tighter. Seriously, I don't know how we made it and I know there were times we didn't think we would. I suppose we made do and there were certainly friends and family who helped keep us alive.
    By the mid 1970s, my Dad's business started growing to the point we could do a few things. The first of those things was buying the camper and going to Vegas. By the end of the 1970s, things were going so well we got a new boat and a cottage at the lake. We were living like kings according to anything we ever knew. Actually, I didn't wear too many hand-me-down clothes from the mid 1970s.
    Basically, I'm young enough that my lifestyle benefited from my Dad's business success where my brothers didn't. Also, I think my parents felt bad about what they were able to provide my brothers so I got pretty much everything I wanted.
    I don't mention any of that because I wouldn't want the spoiled punks in here to think I had some sort of silver spoon upbringing. Instead, I figured I'd go all grumpy-old-codger on their ass.

Wake Havasu
    My parents were big gamblers.
    As a kid I can recall sitting out by the Riviera Hotel pool and seeing folks like Sheecky Greene, Jimmy Durante, Jack Benny and Roger Hill.

Rod-64
    Cool link.
    Imagine buying some of that dusty vacant land in the 1963 view? And held it til recently?:idea:
    What else is cool before we got sue happy was the high and low diving boards in one of the pics. You don't see them anymore. Takes away from the fun we had as kids.

Jbb
    Great memories, MP.
    The first time I went to Vegas in 1977, my family went down in a 9' Okanagan truck camper. There were six of us.
    My original story was a little selective. I'm the youngest of four children. My next oldest brother is 5 years older than me. When I was an infant, my parents were poor. I'm talking about sometimes we didn't eat kinda poor. No new clothes, etc., etc. Then my Dad started a business in 1972. Things got tighter. Seriously, I don't know how we made it and I know there were times we didn't think we would. I suppose we made do and there were certainly friends and family who helped keep us alive.
    By the mid 1970s, my Dad's business started growing to the point we could do a few things. The first of those things was buying the camper and going to Vegas. By the end of the 1970s, things were going so well we got a new boat and a cottage at the lake. We were living like kings according to anything we ever knew. Actually, I didn't wear too many hand-me-down clothes from the mid 1970s.
    Basically, I'm young enough that my lifestyle benefited from my Dad's business success where my brothers didn't. Also, I think my parents felt bad about what they were able to provide my brothers so I got pretty much everything I wanted.
    I don't mention any of that because I wouldn't want the spoiled punks in here to think I had some sort of silver spoon upbringing. Instead, I figured I'd go all grumpy-old-codger on their ass.
    I see.....Brown the spoiled Trust Fund Brat.........luxury cars,boats....house at the lake......terrabyte server ect.....Im surprised you even stop by here....

Old Texan
    "Thanks for the mammaries, er memories.............."

Tom Brown
    .....Im surprised you even stop by here....
    It doesn't make any sense to me, either.