Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Engineers Needed - What's Needed to Overcome Prop Pressure

VDRIVERACING
    A kill switch?

MAXIMUS
    There seems to be acknowledgement that the propshaft places tremendous forward pressure on the Vdrive plate.
    1. What is the formual to calculate that force?
    2. How much of this force can a 1/2" plate resist? And, therefore, how much of the uncontrolled force needs to be controlled trough attachments from the plate to the stringer.
    For example: a 1500 pound boat, 750lbs torque, 22% overdrive, and 20% slippage. How much force is on the vdrive plate, and at what angles?
    Have you...by any chance been harvesting oregano lately???
    :shift:

lilrick
    There seems to be acknowledgement that the propshaft places tremendous forward pressure on the Vdrive plate.
    1. What is the formual to calculate that force?
    2. How much of this force can a 1/2" plate resist? And, therefore, how much of the uncontrolled force needs to be controlled trough attachments from the plate to the stringer.
    For example: a 1500 pound boat, 750lbs torque, 22% overdrive, and 20% slippage. How much force is on the vdrive plate, and at what angles?
    Bill, you gotta find something to do.... By the way you left your sunglasses at Heaths yesterday

hang tight R.D. will be here shortly

RiverDave
    hang tight R.D. will be here shortly
    I figured I'd just go the PM route if he actually needed help.
    Incidentally it should be noted.. I am not an engineer just been around an engineering firm my whole life.
    If an when I can help someone on the forums though with something that might be useful, I will always do my best. After all that's the point of this place isn't it?
    RD

VDRIVERACING
    Rick - Thanks for the info. I wondered why I was swerving around the freeway so mucsh...

superdave013
    Incidentally it should be noted.. I am not an engineer just been around an engineering firm my whole life.
    You know, I've always wondered why you never went to school. You have the smarts for it. You should stop f'in around and go full time and knock it out. What's 4 years now compared to the rest of your life? It will be the best thing you could ever do and the one and only thing that can never be taken away from you.
    God I'm sounding just like my dad.

Unchained
    I'm not an engineer either although I've fabricated and installed hundreds of tons of steel. I've got welding experience in almost all types including submerged arc (no welding helmet req'd.). Had some certifications too.
    My dad wrenched hard on me back in the 70's to go to college and get a degree.
    I refused because I already knew it all.
    I put my two daughters through college but my son refused to go because he already knows it all too. I can't imagine where he got that from.
    My son in law IS a structural engineer and he would be able to figure out any of the stuff we discuss here. He'd figure it out and bury us all in facts and numbers

Racey
    I'd Love to hear what an engineer had to say on the subject in reguard to actuall force numbers, it'd be pretty interesting. If you eliminate things like water friction/drag from the equation, and simply figure out how much force is required to accellerate an object of X weight, to Y speed, in Z Time it couldnt be that complicated.

superdave013
    I'd Love to hear what an engineer had to say on the subject in reguard to actuall force numbers, it'd be pretty interesting. If you eliminate things like water friction/drag from the equation, and simply figure out how much force is required to accellerate an object of X weight, to Y speed, in Z Time it couldnt be that complicated.
    Newton figured that out a long time ago.
    NewtonÂ’s Laws of Motion
    1. An object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will stay in motion at constant velocity, unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.
    2. Force equals mass times acceleration. F=MA <- this will answer Racy's question.
    3. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast