Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Engineers Needed - What's Needed to Overcome Prop Pressure

VDRIVERACING
    I'm not an engineer either although I've fabricated and installed hundreds of tons of steel. I've got welding experience in almost all types including submerged arc (no welding helmet req'd.). Had some certifications too.
    My dad wrenched hard on me back in the 70's to go to college and get a degree.
    I refused because I already knew it all.
    I put my two daughters through college but my son refused to go because he already knows it all too. I can't imagine where he got that from.
    My son in law IS a structural engineer and he would be able to figure out any of the stuff we discuss here. He'd figure it out and bury us all in facts and numbers
    Well then, get on the phone and let's get some answers! All kidding aside...uh, better forget that...
    I think if we really understood the forces at play on our driveline it would give us pause to reflect. A buddy who is invloved with the big offshore race boats told me of a team that mounted a high speed camera trained on their engine compartment. The film revealed how the hull twisted violently in race conditions, to an extent they had never imagined.

wsuwrhr
    After being broke for three months, what is the rush?
    I wonder about you sometimes.
    Hey Dave, hate to get off topic but I'll have my cnc machine fixed by Monday. Just next day aired the part off to get fixed. That's right, fixed not replaced. No replacement parts for this old girl. 97 bucks in next day shipping each way sucks though.
    Anyway, kinda stoked to get it up and running again. A bunch of work just rolled in for it so that got me off my ass to repair it.

wsuwrhr
    ...which bears resemblense to the comment I made in the closing of the V-drive mounting plate thread.
    All the bracing in the world is no good when it is bolted to a peice of wood and fiberglass.
    A buddy who is invloved with the big offshore race boats told me of a team that mounted a high speed camera trained on their engine compartment. The film revealed how the hull twisted violently in race conditions, to an extent they had never imagined.

...which bears resemblense to the comment I made in the closing of the V-drive mounting plate thread.
    All the bracing in the world is no good when it is bolted to a peice of wood and fiberglass.
    This is the part I don't get about this whole plate thing. The strut is flopping back and forth (if they didn't, no one would ever crack one), the shaft is whipping like a snake in hot oil, the boat itself is twisting a flexing like mad and thru all this they are trying to keep the V-drive/shaft alignment lazer straight. They are kidding right?

superdave013
    After being broke for three months, what is the rush?
    I wonder about you sometimes.
    Well as you know I was just about ready to scrap it out. I didn't what to put good money into such an old machine. And as soon as I got the # for the guy that removed some stuff from the shop next door my phone rang. It's a job I've done before on that machine and would more then pay for the repair.
    So I'm now fixing it. I still might get rid of it. But it's going to be worth something running and that seems better then just giving it away for scrap.
    I'm hoping you will upgrade soon before mine breaks again. That way I can sell it running and pick your old one.
    I'll tell you what. You man up and buy that new VF3 and at the same time I'm man up and buy your old one and pick up that gang tool lathe I'm wanting. What do you think?

wsuwrhr
    I'm working on it buddy, you just keep a spot warm on the floor for it.
    I'm sure we will have a deal, problem is fixing your mill would cost $500 for parts. Easy deal, done.
    "Man-ing up" to buy a VF3 $80,000, bigger house with more land $500,000,
    new shop construction 30,000.
    Makes your $500 part seem free to me.
    Brian
    Well as you know I was just about ready to scrap it out. I didn't what to put good money into such an old machine. And as soon as I got the # for the guy that removed some stuff from the shop next door my phone rang. It's a job I've done before on that machine and would more then pay for the repair.
    So I'm now fixing it. I still might get rid of it. But it's going to be worth something running and that seems better then just giving it away for scrap.
    I'm hoping you will upgrade soon before mine breaks again. That way I can sell it running and pick your old one.
    I'll tell you what. You man up and buy that new VF3 and at the same time I'm man up and buy your old one and pick up that gang tool lathe I'm wanting. What do you think?

superdave013
    sucks to be you then. lol
    And I know all about the big money. That's why I'm still a little gun shy to pull the trigger on the lathe. I gotta sack up and do it pretty soon though.

wsuwrhr
    Yep
    sucks to be you then. lol

Unchained
    CNC mills and lathes lose about 90% of their value in 5 years and the machine can still be real nice.
    We've moved a few through our shop. One was especially nice with a tool changer and a nice enclosure and it went for around 4k. Another machine 20 yrs old went for less than 2k and the ball screws were still real tight.
    The guy who bought my old building has excess equipment auctions every 90 days and they always have some nice CNC machines going through there. There was a pretty large Cinncinnati Milocron that went for about 10 k.
    For the kind of stuff we use here accuracy to the .0001 is not required like it is for production work.
    There are lots of companys dumping machinery cheap here in Mi. where the economy is dead. We are the only state where property values have decreased in the last year.

wsuwrhr
    90% in 5 years?
    So you are saying a 100,000 machine is worth 10,000 in 5 years?
    You are kidding right?
    CNC mills and lathes lose about 90% of their value in 5 years and the machine can still be real nice.
    We've moved a few through our shop. One was especially nice with a tool changer and a nice enclosure and it went for around 4k. Another machine 20 yrs old went for less than 2k and the ball screws were still real tight.
    The guy who bought my old building has excess equipment auctions every 90 days and they always have some nice CNC machines going through there. There was a pretty large Cinncinnati Milocron that went for about 10 k.
    For the kind of stuff we use here accuracy to the .0001 is not required like it is for production work.
    There are lots of companys dumping machinery cheap here in Mi. where the economy is dead. We are the only state where property values have decreased in the last year.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast