Thread: Some Electrical help please?

DUCKY
    I am usually very good at electrical, but this has me stumped. According to the ammeter, my alternator is pumping out 50+ amps all the time and it's getting really hot(it is right next to a header) I haven't fried one yet but I am sure I'm close. Do I have something hooked up wrong? Please help..... Thanks, DUCKY

Hemicide
    This may or may not help, I had a Dodge pickup do the same thing. It was charging clear off-scale and you could smell the wires getting hot. We traced it down to a burned fusible link, the altenator couldn't detect the battery voltage. So maybe it's just a loose or missing conection between the altenator and the battery.

MikeF
    DUCKY:
    I am usually very good at electrical, but this has me stumped. According to the ammeter, my alternator is pumping out 50+ amps all the time and it's getting really hot(it is right next to a header) I haven't fried one yet but I am sure I'm close. Do I have something hooked up wrong? Please help..... Thanks, DUCKY Take it off the boat and take it to a Autozone for them to test. If it's bad, buy a new one w/ a lifetime gaurantee. Good luck!
    That battery is not gonna like that much amperage! eek! eek!
    [ September 13, 2002, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: MikeF ]

Kindsvater Flat
    Hemicide did you post a pic or is that just a really large avatar?

Hemicide
    I thought the avitar pic was much smaller, but I guess not. I reduced it to 1" and tried to upload to the avitar area, but this option is temporarily shut down due to inappropriate pictures being posted. I'll have to wait until I can get to my website to resize one. Thanks

SWW
    hey give him a break he posted a pic on his first post LOL eek!

DUCKY
    I will look at it tomorrow, but I think hemicide is on the right track. The alternator works fine, already load tested it, but if the gauge itself is bad (not transferring the power between it's posts) it could fool the alt into full fielding. I will check it tomorrow. THANKS!

DUCKY
    Battery was just dead as a doornail. Still cranked the motor, but needed a good charging.
    Thanks!