Thread: Jack Plates

Navin Johnson
    Anyone know anything about jack plates. I've got a 18' tahiti with a 175hp merc. As it is now my bow sits quite a bit out of the water when motionless. I'm doing things to get weight to the front of the boat but, last year, I bought a CMC hydraulic jack plate with a 5-1/2" setback. It seems kinda heavy. Is there a better jack plate that is lighter or will this one suffice?

wideopen23
    The one you have is not a bad one. If it is working for you stick with it. The few pounds you will save for a lighter one you wont tell a diffrence. I have an 18 southwind with a 200 on it. The nose sticks way up as well. I ran it with a about 10" of setback total.

dschifan
    Anyone know anything about jack plates. I've got a 18' tahiti with a 175hp merc. As it is now my bow sits quite a bit out of the water when motionless. I'm doing things to get weight to the front of the boat but, last year, I bought a CMC hydraulic jack plate with a 5-1/2" setback. It seems kinda heavy. Is there a better jack plate that is lighter or will this one suffice?
    it is fine with the bow sitting higher, 5 1/2" setback is not that much at all as many others out there, i'm running 15". you want the weight hangin off the back so the boat will perform better. this will require less trim to carry the bow and get you better speed overall. your good to go in my opinion.

kingsbiship
    If the bow at full speed is flighty... you have too much setback! It don't
    matter what it looks like when sitting there... If you need positive trim to
    get max. speed (rooster tail) you will gain from more setback. Also, props
    all react different... And finally you have eng. height, which will change the
    handling characteristics all together!

sleekvino
    just strap the thing to the tralier next time .

whiteworks
    Hey Navin, always remember these 3 things!

#1 The lord loves a workin man.
    #2 Dont trust whitey.
    #3 If you catch somthing go to the doctor and get a shot.