Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I-40 CLOSED between AZ and I-15

BoatPI
    I just heard on the news that I-40 is now completly closed due to high wind and traffic accidents. Closure is betwwen SR-95 and I-15.
    http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

lalhc
    Wow, that is a huge closure :jawdrop:
    Currently, there's snow flurries up in the San Bernardino mountains. I wonder if my son will have his baseball game today :idea:

THATJEFFGUY
    Sandstorm Havoc: Freeways closed, one person dead, more than a dozen cars damaged in pileup crash
    Melissa Pinion-Whitt, Staff Writer
    Article Launched: 04/12/2007 02:37:49 PM PDT
    LUDLOW -- A massive sandstorm has triggered a pileup involving at least a dozen vehicles, killing one person and prompting the closure of several desert highways.
    About seven vehicles and six tractor trailers received major damage in the crash, which occurred at 10:22 a.m. today on eastbound Interstate 40 around 50 miles east of Barstow.
    Officers requested paramedics send at least one helicopter to transport injured motorists at 10:50 a.m., said California Highway Patrol Officer Albert Graciano.
    Numerous people, including those in motorhomes, remained trapped in their vehicles several hours later while other motorists heading into the area found themselves in a traffic nightmare.
    "The freeway is closed until the visibility improves," Graciano said.
    Officers closed the 40 between Newberry Springs and Highway 95. Part of Highway 58 was also closed because of the cloud of sand.
    Due to the sandstorm, officers closed both sides of the freeway and had no estimate on when it would reopen.
    Officers recommended motorists heading west take Highway 95 north or south. Drivers heading east should take the north- or southbound Interstate 15 or the southbound Highway 247.

mrs.rvrluvr
    Talking to Eazykiller right now who is stuck on the 40, 1 mile outside of Barstow & all lanes are dead stopped.

driverno8
    That sucks! Guess I'm leaving tomorrow then. $%#@

Mrs.Racer277
    East 40 just opened

Pheelin Phroggy
    We went right through it, coming back this morning, missed being in the middle of it by maybe 2 minutes, had to lock up the brakes to keep from slamming into the back of a semi, all because of the sand storm, we had just slowed down because you could only see about 100 ft, glad there was nodody right behind me. Westbound side was not to bad, I think 5 Big Rigs and a few cars, but the eastbound side was brutal, a motorhome "slammed" into the back of a big rig, along with a shi..t load of cars and trucks, they were cutting into the motorhome to get the trapped out, they were working on people in the center divider, word there was at least 1 fatality, sucks.

RitcheyRch
    Heard the wind supposed to die down after 10 PM tonight. Hopefully I-40 opens long before then.

bignet
    Got friends headed today...looks like their taking the 10! What a crappy turn of events!!
    bignet

raff
    This highway information is the latest reported as of Thursday, April 12, 2007 at 17:16 .
    I 40
    [SAN BERNARDINO & RIVERSIDE CO.'S]
    IS CLOSED TO EASTBOUND TRAFFIC EAST OF BARSTOW (SAN BERNARDINO CO)
    - DUE TO AN ACCIDENT - A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast