Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Kind of Batteries are you running?

laveycrafter
    About to replace my acid batteries again, seems like a bi-seasonal thing for me. But what kind do you run? Deep Cycle, starting, gel, acid? What have you had luck with? What has sucked for you?
    And........, how do you run them if on a switch, do you alternate? Do you run both, all the time? Whats your stereo and amps hooked up to? One or both?
    Thanks in advance!
    SEE YOU ON THE WATER!
    -jack

ck7684
    I run a regular auto starting battery, but I dont have a stereo and all that jazz. I was wondering about those lightweight Braille batteries. Seems like a good way to shed a few pounds!!

WannabeRacing
    Had good luck with the standard car batteries from AutoZone er whatever. I get a few years out of them. Had pathetic results with Optima. Never got two trips to the lake out of one. One trip and completely incapable of holding a charge before the second trip. Every time I have ever tried optima. I run alternators in all of my boats, but this stuff is in my boat, so of course I would not have a stereo or anything like that.
    Thinking about trying a 16 volt battery for the new boat as it is a little more "performance" oriented. Best of the 16 volts is the "V battery", by leaps and bounds.

sanger rat
    I've had great luck with the Auto Zone marine starting battery.

Hotfish
    I run an Optima Marine Battery that I got in '98. Still going strong.

Brian
    I went through several Optimas before I figured out that they really don't last very long, certainly not long enough to justify the 3x+ price tag. Now I run a pair of group 27 standard cheapie batteries from Costco, less than 50 bucks each. They have a ton of reserve power and even if they only last a single season I'm still money ahead compared to the Optimas. My current set is starting its second season and they seem fresh and strong so far.

67weimann
    I run the Optima Marine starting, and it works great.
    Had a Yellow Optima in my old car with a extensive stereo system and that yellow top lasted 7 years before it took a dump...
    Also, Optimas won't leak like a standard cheapy...

GofastRacer
    Optimas work great as long as you use the right one for the application, otherwise they won't last!..

I've used Optimas and Interstates with success. I get long life due primarily to keeping them on a battery tender when not being used. 5-7 years easy. Just don't overcharge the Optimas, they don't like that.

Ryan00TJ
    I've always had very good luck with Optima yellow tops in my offroad Jeeps. My current one in my TJ has been going strong since 02 with heavy winching use. Currently running an Autozone marine starting in the boat. I bought it in spring 05 and plan to get this year out of it. I've never pushed a battery past 3 years in the boat. I plan to try an Optima marine starting once this one goes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast