Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: blower or turbos

bentprops
    whats better with a v-drive and why?

buknhrse
    if you are looking for cool factor, the blower is the way to go. the instant throttle response and the sound are both awesome. Turbos on the other hand are free horsepower. a blower may give you an extra 300 horse at say 10 lbs of boost, but its using 80 horse to spin it. the turbos would net you 380 horse at the same boost level.(using no power to spin them. Plus the turbos quiet down the whole deal quite a bit. Also, they are easier to effectively intercool, ie cheaper). a water to air intercooler using raw water could give you an air intake charge that would only be about 10 degrees above the actual water temp, even at 10 or 15 pounds of boost. Thats where the real horsepower numbers come in. intake air temp with a blower at 15 lbs boost will be around 250 degrees, as the roots type blower makes alot of heat, however alchohol cures that issue right quick. hope that helps.

bentprops
    i read on here some were that a new schiada is 150k with a blower and 175k with a twin turbos motor why the big dif in cost. also why are the turbos queiter then a blower? i can only think of the gear drive wine.

buknhrse
    good turbos are probably more expensive than the blower, and the turbos work best with electronic fuel injection, which costs a bit more than carbs. The reason they are quiet is because all of the exhaust is used to spin the turbos, passing through the turbo to spin the impeller takes most of the noise out of it.

bentprops
    how about maintaing a blower or turbo motor?

buknhrse
    maintaining anything making big power takes a litle effort, but I can't think of any real drawback to either one maintenance wise.

Racey
    Personally i think turbos are where it's at, they are free horsepower, they are quite and effectivley muffle the exhaust (which is becoming more and more important with Law enforcement cracking down on noise) and the new turbo setups have come pretty close to eliminating turbo lag, giving you nearly instant horsepower when you roll onto the gas. not to mention that turbo motors have a lower profile than a blower/intercooler/carburetor setup, which make it alot nicer in the boat.

Unchained
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../daytonalr.jpg
    The turbos are real quiet at idle and cruise. The marine patrol checked me at 89db with no mufflers. At WOT, they're still real loud but nothing like open headers and a blower.
    No maintenance ever. The turbos will out last the rest of the engine.
    Two good things I can say about blowers is they are a cheap and easy bolt on,
    and they look cool. Unfortunately blowers are at the bottom of the chart in making efficient boost pressure.

LandSpeedRacer
    You know where my money is

LandSpeedRacer
    Ok, I tried to post a recent pic of my Sanger from galleries but it did not go . . . any help . . . . . thanks in advance . . . .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast