Thread: Which trim pump do I need?

curtis73
    The original setup on my 83 19' Baja SunSport was an early transom assembly with the wider-spaced rear engine mounts (pre-83 style) but was updated with an MR drive. It has a dead trim pump and it was the kind that went through a reverse lockout valve. I've been told that is an early style
    Now I'm replacing the transom assembly with a Gen1 housing which I believe was originally installed on an 86 boat. (replacing is cheaper than rebuilding my old T/A, and its already apart anyway)
    three questions:
    1- one system is low pressure and one is high; which is which?
    2- which trim pump do I need to go with my Gen1 T/A and trim rams?
    3- if I need the later style, do I just bypass my reverse lockout?

DelawareDave
    Is your old one is the square cast reservoir, high pressure type? That is the only one that uses the reverse lockout valve that I remember. The low pressure type with the round or plastic reservoir will work for you, but the plastic tank type is the most readily available. Trim hoses are larger diameter, too. You don't use the lockout valve with the low pressure pumps. It is built into the pump valving system.
    I reread your post a little better. The pump normally used with the reverse lockout is a high pressure pump. Lines are 1/8" or 3/16" if memory serves me. The low pressure pumps, which some old L/P pumps were still square, did not have the lockout valve at all. After 85-86, I think, the lines should be 1/4".