Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what is the noise?

holeinthewater
    at idle the boat growls and vibrates. once it starts to get out of the hole it goes away. It's the pump. could this possibly be a normal noise?
    19ft Eliminator Daytona
    454 BBC
    Berkley ?

squirt'nmyload
    at idle the boat growls and vibrates. once it starts to get out of the hole it goes away. It's the pump. could this possibly be a normal noise?
    19ft Eliminator Daytona
    454 BBC
    Berkley ?
    i noticed this in my boat 2 trips ago.......slight vibration and almost like a humming noise.......it never really made any noise before...........and last sunday the thrust bearing blew out

67weimann
    If it vibrates and growls, it can be either the u-joints or the thrust bearing. If you don't fix it, it will cause catastrophic failure...

pw_Tony
    I better change my u-joints then lol

CARLSON-JET
    19ft Eliminator Daytona
    454 BBC
    Berkley ?
    Yes it can be a normal noise. Other things have to be taken into consideration though such as the age of the pump and whether the motor location has been changed or sagging mounts etc. A few more replies to your question might help.

W.O.T
    i know my u joints make a weird vibrating chatter at idle sometimes. it goes away once i give it gas. they need to be replaced asap

67weimann
    Mine USED to do that... in fear of breaking something, I replaced the u-joints. Still had a slight vibration at times so I pulled the pump and rebuilt it. No more vibration or howling...

centerhill condor
    mine does that with rebuilt pump and new joints...me thinks it is play between the two shafts. Some folks liberally grease the splines and the noise goes away. Also, the starter can stay engaged enough to grap the starter ring due to "run out". Try restarting the engine and see if the noise ceases.

TIMINATOR
    Noise in your Daytona? You have two choices, one: bring it over so I can fix it. two: bring it over so I can buy it. Not kidding... TIMINATOR

blue wonder
    19ft Eliminator Daytona
    454 BBC
    Berkley ?
    does it have a mag bronze or stainless impellor???...they sometimes make a growling noise when idling????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast