Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what is the noise?

Sanger Jet
    It IS normal for your pump to make some noise at idle before you put a load on it. It should go away when you get on the gas. Notice I say "some" noise is normal. If it is a bad noise then I would start checking for problems just to be sure.
    Now if I could just find someone dumb enough to dance around with the Big Block in the back of my boat while she's underway.....Now that would be funny!!!:devil:

UltraJet
    Glad to hear that alot of other guys have this sound at idle. I've had this sound ever since I bought the boat last year and it is a 2000 model boat in immaculate condition. Can't imagine the pump needs to be rebuilt but I'll keep my oar ready anyway

holeinthewater
    thanks for all the input...
    The guy i bought the boat from use to run it on the trailer with just a garden hose.
    Then i had it at a local shop and i think they did the same. They were in love with the thing and were showing it off to people everytime i came in. When i got it back from them it seem to slip a lot on accel..
    the noise has been around since i first got the boat...

minnesota_duane
    Run her till she falls apart!! it will be eaiser to find the problem.
    It will be alot easier to find the problem after you get it off the bottom of the lake or river. After it sinks because you busted a chunk out of the suction housing.

Bow Tie Omega
    I just had a scary noise in my boat. It was a vibration with a slight clank. The Motor is new, the drive line is rebuilt with new universals and balanced, the ole Panther was rebuilt by Dons Pump Service in central CA. It was driving me nuts. So much, I pulled the motor out to double check the flex plate and I even dropped my pan to check the rods (the motor ran great). I ordered a new bushing kit for the stator. I took it off to work on it and looked at the impeller while I was there. The bolt holding the impeller had backed off and the key stock used in the key way was worn. When I installed the stator before, I used some clear silicone in between the stator and the pump housing, allowing the nut to back off to the pilot bearing on the stator where the discharge side of the impeller shaft inserted (16th of an inch) So, I purchased some new key stock, trimmed it down to size, reinstalled the impeller ,tightened the nut, cleaned off the old silicone on the stator and pump housing and installed the stator. I started the motor......vibration gone. I was lucky, no visible damage to the impeller, shaft or housing.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    does it have a mag bronze or stainless impellor???...they sometimes make a growling noise when idling????
    I would agree with this man!!!! Stainless are very noisy! Bronze are audiable but not as loud.....

454h20
    I have also experienced this issue I have had this noise / vibration follow me through 2 different hulls 3 different engines and 2 different pumps 1 was rebulit through out all those builds I used the same Drive Line.. I recently replaced the drive line greased it good and the vibration was VERY MINIMAL. I'm gonna pull the engine and use the Rail Kit system this will guarantee good engine placement, I think my engine is a bit low using the 4 point mount system (GLENWOOD) I can only lift the engine so high before I run our of stringer.
    My opinion is switch to RAIL KIT SYSTEM AND NEW DRIVE LINE.
    When the Rail Kit is installed I will update you with my results.

squirtn20
    It will be alot easier to find the problem after you get it off the bottom of the lake or river. After it sinks because you busted a chunk out of the suction housing.
    Yea I know, Just being a smartass. What part of town you playing around in? Ice off!! lets go.

centerhill condor
    I would agree with this man!!!! Stainless are very noisy! Bronze are audiable but not as loud.....
    why is that? the condor has bronze and has a periodic clank at idle.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123