Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PROP???

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
    I am tired of having a slow boat. I think it is that the prop is too small.(story of my life)So I am looking for another one. I know I should call Tom or somebody but it is later and wanted to know what you all think. When i am running around 5500 rpm I think a house boat will pass me .I don't have a gps so I do not know my mph. Labor day I road in a 86mph boat anD that is at least two times faster than my boat.The boat is a 18' eliminator flat with nothing in it. I think I might have 400 hp (440 tunnel ram 2 660 holley, don't know much about it) My cav plate is 1/8 inch higher than the bottom of the boat. I think that is where it is suppose to be?? What prop should i run to get in the 80's. If I can with this hp and boat.Oh and 12%gears. Thanks for any input.

BGMAN203
    What prop do you have now??

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
    I can't find #'s on it. It is a 2 blade.

CP - Does the boat porpoise? Take a set? That makes a huge difference....

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
    It will take a set. but not like other boats.I kind of still think it is stuck in the water. Motor too far foward??

GofastRacer
    IF and I say IF you have only 400hp, before you go any further you need to step up the power before you do anything to the boat!. With that amount of power, there is no way it's going to perform the way you want it to!...
    BTW, what's all in that motor??..
    [ October 03, 2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: GofastRacer ]

dmontzsta
    What is in that motor? If it is stock that could be your biggest hold back, tunnel ram and 2 660's will kill your power if you are stock.

wsuwrhr
    dmontzsta:
    What is in that motor? If it is stock that could be your biggest hold back, tunnel ram and 2 660's will kill your power if you are stock. Uh huh, yea what he said.
    Marty, Marty, Marty, you would be much better off taking that t-ram off and shelving it. Put on an 850 with a Team G, or any large plenum single plane. I wish I had one for you to try out. When are we going to do some work on your boat?
    Second, watch the revs in that bad boy. 6500 ought to be your top speed, and that is pushing it. Unless you are sure what is in it. The worst time to find out your rod bolts are shit is when you are looking at them on the bottom of your boat, after they pass through the oil pan.
    Keith's Howard has a mild 396 with 660's, I don't know what prop it has, but it runs 75 on GPS.
    Try a different prop, or at least find out what you have. Take it off, and send it to Tom and he can check it out. I go to UPS all the time, I will even send it for you.
    I wished you had gone to CBBB, we could have done some test and tune.
    Brian

MandDPerformance
    I know of a really really good engine builder in Corona, CA to help with your power situation!!!
    If I were you Marty, I wouldn't spend any money on your engine until you know what's inside. It wouldn't make sense to buy tires and wheels for a 1964 Cadillac just because some guy said he would give you a car. 'It's a '89 Yugo.'
    Your prop should be no bigger in diameter than
    11 3/8", smaller if it's a light boat. Diameter is usually the limiting factor. Measure from outside tip to outside tip and check your diameter. I'm guessing it's to big. You should have a 15" pitch, maybe a 16" but that would be a lot for your current power.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
    Thanks. I think i am going to put a single carb( i hate the way that looks), intake and new elec ignition.I will get back with the prop specs. I have looked before with no luck finding #'s on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast