Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get out the Popcorn!

DelawareDave
    Since the popcorn bowl is out, I have another good story. I am the “IT” guy at my place of employment, among other duties. Part of my job, is to check the company prez’s email everyday, and print any documents relevant to my other duties, or jobs in progress. There was a little “disagreement” yesterday, between one of the owners, Hamsterboy, and myself. I told him to go F himself, and that didn’t make him real happy. :jawdrop: Oh well. Words were exchanged, etc. Today, when I checked the email, there was one from Hamsterboy, to the prez. My name was in the “subject” line. Of course, I read it! In this email, he described to the prez, how he was tired of me telling him to go F himself, etc, and that he was going to hijack my CAD program, then he was going to install it in another computer, and made a new install disk. He offered in the past, to buy my CAD program, in the event that I suddenly passed away, or left the company for whatever reason, etc, so that they wouldn’t be up the proverbial creek. I turned him down, as I use my software to earn my living. They are in the process of purchasing CNC equipment, and my software is compatible with it.
    He then told the prez, after he stole my software, then he could fire me, and they could hire someone else, who wouldnÂ’t piss Hamsterboy off, and that new person could use the hijacked software.
    Now- he is under the assumption that I would not know that he hijacked my software. #2. He doesn’t know Jack Schit about computers. #3. My computer is not shared on the network, so he couldn’t access it across the network anyway. I lock my machine down every nite when I go home, to prevent “unauthorized” use when I’m not there. #4. He isn’t aware that there is a hardware lock that I take home. #5. I know about his plan now, and will take further steps to prevent him screwing around with my computer.
    Now- they donÂ’t want to go out and buy my software. It is very expensive. Then they would have to find someone to operate it. They, my employer, and a number of other companies in my area have tried to hire people to operate this system. They are unable to. I know all the companies around me, and know all the hiring managers. They have all told me they get absolutely no phone calls or resumes for the position. The few people around here who know the software, have jobs, and wonÂ’t switch to another company. And we get paid reasonable wages and benefits, as well as other perks.
    I have decided, in view of these events, to either put a copy of the incriminating email on HamsterboyÂ’s desk, with a note from me, or put a picture of a rattlesnake with itÂ’s head cut off on his desktop, then hide the control panel icons so he canÂ’t change it. :idea:

yopengo
    Do both and send us the pics.

In2Deep
    Your employer (the Prez and Hamsterboy) are morons to begin with.
    Anyone who hinges a critical aspect of their entire business on a proprietary software program, that only one person knows how to run and who also holds the company hostage on a daily basis (locks the sofware down for purely selfish personal reasons) -- deserves to fail.
    How's that for popcorn.

JB in so cal
    must be something in the ***boat water

mickeyfinn
    I always liked making a bitmap of someones desktop with the tasbar visible. Then get rid of all his icons and move the taskbar to the top and turn on autohide. His desk top will look normal, all his icons will seem to be there, along with the taskbar and start button yet nothing will work. Harmless, easy and most idiots figure it out eventually but is fun to watch or listen to them describing the problem to it.

DelawareDave
    Anyone who hinges a critical aspect of their entire business on a proprietary software program, that only one person knows how to run and who also holds the company hostage on a daily basis (locks the sofware down for purely selfish personal reasons) -- deserves to fail.
    How's that for popcorn.
    The CNC machine can be programmed from a console. But someone has to program it. My CAD program does it automatically. The company had one person using a company provided software program, similar to AutoCad, when they hired me. I brought my own program, as I was familiar with it, and that is just like bringing your tools to the job, whether you are a carpenter, auto tech, carpet or tile installer, etc. If you were a tech, with 35K worth of tools, would you leave your box open for anyone to use? I don't think so. I don't lock the computer down for selfish reasons. All the job blueprints are on that computer, and shared on the network for anyone to open. My company can't afford to lose the files on my machine. There are 4 other machines on the network that are available to anyone to use.

There was a little “disagreement” yesterday, between one of the owners, Hamsterboy, and myself. I told him to go F himself
    You sound like a wounderful employee. I would have fired you on the spot and delt with using the old software.

Focker
    How's that for popcorn.
    DITTO

Bow Tie Omega
    Dude, download/back up your software and files onto CD's. Then replace your software on your work computer with incompatible software, if he is as dumb as you say he is, he will not know the difference and a couple of dumby designs in your Cad that would look familiar. Make sure you find another job first....... Let them think they pulled a fast one on you, fire your ass, and go work for someone else taking all of your designs with you. Call your customers and bring your new company the business. Let them think they got one over on you and bite your lip. And in a few weeks when they figure out what you did, and they realize that they are losing all of their business, send a copy of the email to the both of them with a big fat F/U to the both of them. Problem solved and you get the last laugh.:devil: I hate company politics

GHT
    How's that for popcorn.
    I would have to agree with In2Deep.... NO prospering or successful company will have a single employee that can hold them hostage. Not saying you are a POS or anything. On the contrary, you are probably worth everything they pay you. BUT, IF you were my employee and you told me to F off I would take the hit and let you go then pay someone else to finish the work you have.
    You see.... Even though it is YOUR software, ALL the work material / matter on the computer is THEIRS. Therefore you only own your software and nothing else..
    Everyone is expendable... I think you sould appologize to the Hamster and move on in a mature manner. Just my .02.
    :idea:
    Also your analogy bout the "tool box" is right.. But then again you can leave and take you tools but please leave behind everything "your tools" worked on.... Which would be EVERYTHING else...
    For the record It does sound like HamsterBoy is a peice of SH!T..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast