Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starting new motor

dude smith
    fired up my new 468 big block last night only to find out i had to much water running through headers. have oil that looks more like milk. talked to paul bassett he directed me to restrict inlets of-an- fittings into headers.i do have bassett t-valve in system. now what is best way to clean out motor? never let water run out headers only a fine mist above 1800 rpm on average. have an oil leak at back of motor have to pull it. are breathers in valve covers good enough not running pcv valve , or run scavange to both headers? how does everybody else control flow to headers. ps this is a 1967 budesmith flat v-drive.

fastvdriver
    I would run a e-vac system on the headers. you should not get any water until 2000 rpms then only a mist. but why are you running water to the headers? coat the headers and run them dry then you don't have to worry about the water. if water is the way you want to go I would run a line off the t-stat housing through a small ball valve then through the basset t-valve also use that to Y off and go to the headers. do not cut the basset spring use the valve to control the amount of water going to the headers. in doing this you need to be sure that the motor also has another exit off the t-stat housing that is going straight over board no valves. I ran this stystem for 6 years on a flat then went to dry headers. never got any water in the oil. remeber 2000 RPM's. If you are trying to flush the water out of the oil, mix 75%diesle 25%oil turn motor over with starting it to build oil pressure then drain back out repeat until motor is clean. or just pull it down and wipe all parts down. good luck

MAXIMUS
    A better way to go is run a seperate pick up off the cav plate through a Rex Marine header valve, (mounted at the driver seat) then to the headers. With a seperate pick up not on a water pump you will not get any water at an idle. The boat will have to start moving in order to create flow to the headers. Also with the rex valve you can controll the amount of volumn. That is a full proof & nice way to go! Dry headers can be a little harsh for a rec boat! wink

ColeTR1
    dude smith:
    fired up my new 468 big block last night only to find out i had to much water running through headers. have oil that looks more like milk.Sounds like your intake manifold is leaking around the water ports that go into the heads. I don’t see how you could have that much water get by the pistons and rings. If you had that much water in your combustion chamber it would hydraulic a cylinder, brake a piston or bend a rod! I would change the oil and run it for a while with no water going in to the headers.

scottys
    Whats a Budesmith?

RCM
    Maximus is right,all you need to do is force feed the headers.
    I used this system for years and never had a problem. All I did was run a#8 line to a tee without the ball and to each header line. I had an orfice of about .050 in the fitting at the line that connects to the header, this waw the water doesn`t go to the header until you have foreward motion, by the time you`re on plane.
    And when you drop off plane the water flows back thru the lines into the lake thus leaving no water in the headers or lines. RCM

superdave013
    MAXIMUS:
    A better way to go is run a seperate pick up off the cav plate through a Rex Marine header valve, (mounted at the driver seat) then to the headers. With a seperate pick up not on a water pump you will not get any water at an idle. The boat will have to start moving in order to create flow to the headers. Also with the rex valve you can controll the amount of volumn. That is a full proof & nice way to go! Dry headers can be a little harsh for a rec boat! wink What happens when you lift off the throttle and the engine is idleing with the boat still going 90mph?

fastvdriver
    MAXIMUS:
    A better way to go is run a seperate pick up off the cav plate through a Rex Marine header valve, (mounted at the driver seat) then to the headers. With a seperate pick up not on a water pump you will not get any water at an idle. The boat will have to start moving in order to create flow to the headers. Also with the rex valve you can controll the amount of volumn. That is a full proof & nice way to go! Dry headers can be a little harsh for a rec boat! wink the only problem with this set up is when the motor stops and the boat is still moving you will fill a cyl. full of water through the exhust valve. also you have to be very careful when you are slowing down just like the above post said.

BiggusJimbus
    You might consider this solution.
    http://www.banderlog.com/products/wa...Injection.html
    It never hurts to plug a great product.

superdave013
    BiggusJimbus:
    You might consider this solution.
    http://www.banderlog.com/products/wa...Injection.html
    It never hurts to plug a great product. It's spendy but yes. It's a great set up and much cheaper then cooking some exhaust valves!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast