Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandella boat called Rawhide

hottrodder
    Yep. It was no trouble. Glad you enjoyed 'em. Santa was, and still is, busy building a play/fort/swing combination monstrosity for my 3 year old. I got the plans off the net and had the raw lumber delivered to the house first week of December. Two weeks of cutting, drilling, counter boring and finishing went into prepping the wood. 18 yards of play sand came the week before Christmas and I'm still assembling the damb thing. Found a great site in the process though. If your looking for SS fasteners check out www.stainless-fasteners.com (http://www.stainless-fasteners.com) .
    Like I said. Let me know when your down and we'll get together. Likewise if I get back up to the Lab I'll let you know.

HemiTom
    Lou Brummet raced that mandella all through the 60s and early 70s. In the nine hour enduro in Parker He was the manufacturer of the mandella hull. I don't know if there was just one hull, or a number of them with the same paint and number, but they all looked alike in those years. My father knew Lou Brummett and he also raced a Racen Craft flattie in the enduro in the late 60s. Rawhide was fast and if my memory serves me he won with the boat. or at least his class. I was only around six years old but I loved the races and tried to learn all I could about them. My family has a number of 8mm home movies of the enduro in those years and rawhide is in those films. I remember seeing the boat on the Elvis movie too when I was a kid. I bragged to my friends that I knew all about it and they wouldn't believe me until I showed them our home movies.
    Your story sounds just like mine, my Dad knew Louie, Nadine & Carson very well, and I wonder if we know each other?

Racey
    Wow this is an old thread but.
    Lou was killed in the boat, it was brought back to his/Carson's shop where Carson and my dad I believe boxed it up in a crate as it was, Carson was only a young kid at the time, maybe 16 or 17, that's gotta be tough. and it is still there today in the crate tucked in the back corner of the shop.

daddy b
    I don't know a thing about this boat but there is a nice Mandella for sale, craigslist.com, San Luis Obispo, Ca. check it out.

What happened to Rawhide

Quote Originally Posted by hustlertunnel1 View Post
    Does anyone know info or the where abouts of
    a single seat Mandella called Rawhide that
    was in an Elvis movie called Clambake? It had a 427 w/2x4 and made by Lou Brummett in
    the mid 60's. It has a white deck and sort of rootbeer or tangerine sides and bottom.
    Elvis raced it in the movie. Please reply.
    Jim
    I purchased a new Mandella, the same as Carson's "Gunsmoke" in 1976. At that time I delt with Lou's wife on the purchase. The boat was Carson's design, 20 feet long. At that time I asked Lou's wife about Rawhide and the Elvis move. She told me there was only one boat they rented to the movie company and that was rawhide lou's race boat. I asked her what happened to Rawhide after Lou's death? She told me the boat was repaired and as Lou would have wanted his ashes were placed in the boat and taken out to sea and sunk. She said no one (except her) knows the place it was sunk at.

Dan

Dave,

This boat is my Dad's and we do still have it, only he is ready to part with if you know anyone interested.

Thanks,
    Courtney

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Try this guy:
    Jim's Custom Windows (can't remember his last name)
    Albemarle NC
    704-982-8304
    He's got a Mandella he says was rigged by Lou Brummett hisself, named AquaHolic, has a 427 and is white/red. I've seen the boat, it's magnificent, and has been in the water about 3 times in the last 10 years. Just sits in his warehouse now, but he's such a Ford nut and an FE/sideoiler fan he's probably reluctant to sell. He claims (if I remember correctly) that this was one of 3 boats built for CLAMBAKE starring Elvis. I met him as a result of a referral from an old NC based flattie owner/racer named Donald Pierce in the same town, whose old Raysoncraft LP18 I now own. Jim will know who he is.
    See what happens and post the results. I'd love to know.
    DaveA
    Lake Norman NC

From what we have been told there were 3 boats, Rawhide, Aqua Sonic and another. Rawhide was said to be destroyed, my Dad has aqua sonic and the other we are unsure. My Dad is interested in interested in selling his Mandella. For more info please email me. Thanks, Courtney

Quote Originally Posted by hustlertunnel1 View Post
    Does anyone know info or the where abouts of
    a single seat Mandella called Rawhide that
    was in an Elvis movie called Clambake? It had a 427 w/2x4 and made by Lou Brummett in
    the mid 60's. It has a white deck and sort of rootbeer or tangerine sides and bottom.
    Elvis raced it in the movie. Please reply.
    Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12