Thread: Need Panther Help

Bow Tie Omega
    Hey guys....Well, I had this little noise , rattle when the motor would run at idle, in water and out followed by a clank at shut down. To make a long story short, It was a worn piece of keystock that helped hold the impeller in place on the shaft and the fact that the nut that holds the impeller on backed off to the stator bushing that the shaft end inserts into. Easy fix, right? I purchased a new piece of keystock, trimmed it down to size, made sure it was snug with the key way on the impeller and shaft, and I tightened the nut. I greased the the shaft end and stator bushing by hand, put the stator back on and filled that zerk inside the stator on the bushing end with grease. Started the boat, noise was gone. It sounded beautiful, ran it for about 30 seconds. Come to yesterday, Ran the boat for about 1 minute everything was fine for about 45 seconds, the noise came back. Took the stator housing off, the impeller nut and impeller were still tight. Bushing and shaft end looked fine but dry. Put a little more grease on it, put it back together, noise was gone for the same period of time and it was back. Pulled off the stator again. everything was tight. Looked at the shaft end and bushing. No obvious wear but dry again. This time however, I noticed the seal and spring retainter looked a little rough. Upon further inspection, the spring retainer was broken in 3 places. Is this my problem? I am already going to replace the seal, should I also replace the bushing? How do I get that bushing out? I purchased that darned Panther manual several years ago and can not find it.... Any help would be appreciated......Joe

Cas
    I am already going to replace the seal, should I also replace the bushing? How do I get that bushing out? I purchased that darned Panther manual several years ago and can not find it.... Any help would be appreciated......Joe
    yes, replace the bushing also! As far as getting it out, I use a tap to put some threads in it and either use the tap itself to yank it out or thread in a large bolt.
    Do Not use a sawzall to cut a couple of relief's in the bushing.....yes, I've seen a few of those like that

Bow Tie Omega
    Thanks Cas, your the man