Thread: Well I think i am finally sick of The Phx Area

hondajoey
    After 5 years I think I am fed up with my 4 hours of driving each day, the constant traffic and my job and i think i need a change, ( i have no interest in moving to the east valley were i am always sent on jobs) So i want to leave this place.
    How is the Job Market in Havasu or Parker area For a construction project managers? Also how are the schools and i guess if i bring my wife she will need a job as well she works in medical offices as a gen. office type person. any suggestions from anyone who lives there and the pros and cons of living there.

life's a river
    You could come back to Cali. and sit in 5 hours of traffic! Have you checked into a recruiting company?

prosthogod
    I drive ~3 minutes to work and 3hrs to
    Havasu

AZJD
    After 5 years I think I am fed up with my 4 hours of driving each day, the constant traffic and my job and i think i need a change, ( i have no interest in moving to the east valley were i am always sent on jobs) So i want to leave this place.
    How is the Job Market in Havasu or Parker area For a construction project managers? Also how are the schools and i guess if i bring my wife she will need a job as well she works in medical offices as a gen. office type person. any suggestions from anyone who lives there and the pros and cons of living there.
    I can tell you the work in Havasu and Parker has definately picked up, however most of the jobs are hard to get unless you get transfered by your company. What company are you currently a P.M. for, and is it a GC you work for? I can see what I can do as far as a referal or find out if any of the people I deal with know of anything.

Ion
    How is the Job Market in Havasu or Parker area For a construction project managers?
    Ask Summit Karl about construction here. As far as I can tell, new homes are still going strong. I was told new home permits were up in Nov.
    ...and i guess if i bring my wife she will need a job as well she works in medical offices as a gen. office type person.
    Lotsa snowbirds=lotsa med offices (and ambulance chasers). She should be able to find a job in that field.
    any suggestions from anyone who lives there and the pros and cons of living there.
    You have one major con covered by having a wife. Trust me, good, single women are slim pickens here. If you have a boat and an off-road vehicle, you have both seasons covered and as long as you don't crave culture & quality dining, you should love it here.

2Driver
    Been there done that. LHC has a lot to offer at least it did in the late 80's when my wife and I were there. Personally I'm not sure I'd return now that I have a family (my opinion of course) as a lot has changed.
    Be prepared to work for a lot less (usually) and put up with a transient and challenging labor force if you plan to manage general labor. There is a reason a large majority of people in Havasu are just vacation home owners, retired and made their money elsewhere or own niche businesses.
    You asked about Schools? School are not much to brag about. They run at or below the state average where the state average sucks to begin with. These are published facts not my opinion. Take this statistic as an example: 2% of students in Scottsdale qualify for the free school lunch program. In contrast 33% of the students in Havasu qualify for the free lunch program. Test scores are well below Valley schools assuming you are in a decent district. Extrapolate on those statistics and that's the environment your kids will be in.
    If your main concerns are not your kids education and money/career and are more towards the lake and desert you'll be fine. There is a big difference in going to the circus vs joining one

Mardonzi
    I'm lucky enough to have landed a PM job that allows me to live at Lake Powell... Basically, what that means is I travel, A lot!. But in the long run, it is worth it to me/ us.

riverroyal
    good luck,move here to socal,you can Pm some jobs here,se habla? :idea:

jbtrailerjim
    You could come back to Cali. and sit in 5 hours of traffic!
    and buy an overpriced home. There is plenty to choose from on the market right now. :wink:

C-2
    and buy an overpriced home. There is plenty to choose from on the market right now. :wink:
    Including mine :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Sell damn it, sell