Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wear Ring?

MikeF
    What I do not understand is why you would want another step (shouldered wear ring) in front of the face of the impeller?! I would think that the one step (the suction piece) would be all that you'd want to begin with.
    I'd imagine possibly something about patent infringment in designing the shouldered wear ring as to a regular wear ring.

MikeF
    Chet, is that you boy????? :idea:
    I think he died. r.i.p. :crossx:

IMPATIENT 1
    I still cant get an honest answer on how these guys think it's better either. To much politics on this forum man....your telling like it is i think flat broke. One is brown nosing, the other is PM'in his stuff......where's all the honesty on here without the kickback part. Makes everyone believe that everyone is using it. I notice the same shit at the local jet guru too with his products. Is the price too good to be true or something? How much are they? Just might be the determining factor must be.
    I PM'D HIM FIRST!! DUANE HAS DONE NOTHING BUT HELP ME IN THE PAST AND SO FAR HIS ADVISE HAS DONE NOTHING BUT MAKE MY BOAT FASTER!
    AS FAR AS THE LOCAL GURU GOES(S.THUNDER, I TAKE IT),ALL HE DOES HERE IS TRY AND HELP FOLKS OUT LIKE ME,WHETHER THAT GETTIN PRICES FROM HIM OR ADVISE.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I still cant get an honest answer on how these guys think it's better either. To much politics on this forum man....your telling like it is i think flat broke. One is brown nosing, the other is PM'in his stuff......where's all the honesty on here without the kickback part. Makes everyone believe that everyone is using it. I notice the same shit at the local jet guru too with his products. Is the price too good to be true or something? How much are they? Just might be the determining factor must be.
    I'll give ya the straightest set of answers I have then. I put an ultimate wear ring in my Taylor in 1990, when it was still dad's boat. I had, in 1 afternoon, in 1 shalow lake, fed enough sand inner-tubing thru my Berk F to grind a 1/4 inch off the impeller. The bronze wear ring from 1979 was in beautiful shape. The Al. impeller no longer had a face to fit near the wear ring, at all. What little was left was curled back toward the impeller blades. The wear ring that was available in 1990 was the ultimate ring (I only live 40 miles from DuaneHTP's business) and I rebuilt the drive in a Sat afternoon. I had to drill & split the bronze ring out, just tapped the new wear ring in place. Followed the instructions I was given to install a new bearing, and shim as directed. The bearing break-in took up the shim space & the wear ring was a "brushing" fit to the shoulder. I was told the polyurethane is tolerant of minor sand damage. Since it is a rubber material, it will give some initially, take the brunt of the scoring, yet will also "heal itself" from minor scoring from abrasive without altering the clearance to the impeller. I was also warned to NEVER start the engine with the drive out of the water or the ring would almost immediately become so much garbage.
    I have never set 'glass on that particular lake again in the ensuing 15 years. My pump is still pulling hard, the wear ring still fits closely. LAst winter it was apart but budget forced to not be rebuilt. The impeller does show some wear on the outside of the shoulder where it would get grit between it and the ring. The ring is pretty sloppy loose to the sides of the impeller if it is out of the drive. I do not know just how normal that is but I do know it does fit smoothly at the shoulder and side looseness shows no sign of harming her acceleration or speed. I have had zero detectable increase in RPM over those 15 years.
    My drive is being rebuilt this winter because of engine & Nitrous upgrades. The Aluminum Berkeley impeller is being replaced by Agressor bronze to take the HP. Another Hi-Tech Performance rebuild kit is in my near future, thrust bearing & Ultimate wear Ring included.
    I do not have a race boat. My Taylor hull is about 800 pounds alone, 1900 ready to float. She spends her time dragging children and friends on skis, tubes, and just cruising arround, or at anchor in a party cove sipping cold suds. She will run well enough to keep bass-pros & lake lice behind me, and most anything with a single-engine prop that isn't a Big-Blocked V-drive.
    I like simple, reliable, and forgiving of minor errors in judgement. DuaneHTP's wear ring works well for me in my aplication. Yours, I have no way of even guessing. That is as straight as I can shoot it, if it looks like sucking up to my local dealer, oh well. He charges me the same $$ he charges everyone else so it ain't working very well.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I agree with impatient1, guys like S.thunder and Duane and spent alot of time on the phone with me for help. The funny thing is that I never spent a dime with either one of them! Guess what though, I will be buying an ultimate wearring from duane next week. THe reason I have made a decision is because he has answered all of my question in great depth and makes it logical for me to understand. Thats what Im talking about! CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duane HTP
    What I do not understand is why you would want another step (shouldered wear ring) in front of the face of the impeller?!
    Give me a call, 316-794-8616. I'll explain how it works and what it does. That typing thing again you know!

Ken F
    For those of you who don't know Duane, and his typing Aversion, let me clarify it just a bit. Can you imagine typing with fingers the size of most people's theighs? LOL His fingertips cover 3 keys at once. Fortunatly, he's a great guy with a good sense of humor....he he....right Duane? Duane?

Duane HTP
    Okay, Ken. Have you had one of these today?

Hmmn I wonder if he's waving one of those pork chop sized fingers your way right now Ken?????

Ken F
    No Duane, up until then I hadn't.....Dan I'm sure you nailed it! LOL
    Ken F

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast