Thread: Truck parts question

Water Romper
    I have had such good luck in this forum when it comes to working on my boat I thought I would try my luck with thisÂ…
    Anybody know what the web site is for parts compatibility?
    Example: I have a 1998, 1500, 5.7 Vortex, Z71, Silverado, The air conditioner compressor went out and I would like to get a “new” used one, I would like to get the newest one available, say off a 2002 (or something like that) I know a brand new one is the best option but that can run $1500 to $2,000 dollars….A newer used one may buy me some time until I can get a new truck….What do you guys think?
    Thanks

rrrr
    A new compressor with a new clutch for your truck is $372 at NAPA.....the OE manufacturer compressor with clutch is $495.
    You'll need a new filter/drier/accumulator and an orfice tube......about $180. The garbage from the compressor suicide could have contaminated the system......flush it out.

Water Romper
    A new compressor with a new clutch for your truck is $372 at NAPA.....the OE manufacturer compressor with clutch is $495.
    You'll need a new filter/drier/accumulator and an orfice tube......about $180. The garbage from the compressor suicide could have contaminated the system......flush it out.
    WOW, $600.00 for a NEW compressor and other stuff..?? cool, I will give it a shot, THANKS!!

curtis73
    Its not really as easy as you're thinking. I know that newer is often better, but that's not how it works. Let's say for instance that Chevy used the same compressor from 1995 through 2001. If you go to the parts store and ask for a compressor from a 2001 Silverado, you would get the exact same box as if you had asked for a 1998 truck. Since nothing changed about the engineering of the AC for those years, it won't help you to "upgrade" to a later year.
    Now assuming you wish to upgrade to the latest and greatest, like for instance the newer compressors found on later trucks. Now you are into a completely custom installation; you need to fabricate brackets that will mount a later LSx style compressor to the earlier traditional small block. Then you have to do the math and figure out of the new compressor has the right displacement for the evaporator, condensor, and capacity of the existing system. The worst thing you can do for an AC system is put too much compressor. You're better off using a lower capacity compressor and going overkill on the evap and condenser side.
    Stick with what you have. GM never did wonderful AC, so short of recommending buying a Ford (which will freeze your nipples off if running properly), just make the best of what you have.
    One recommendation I have for GMs is to replace the stock fan. Whatever it is, it sucks. They draw crazy amounts of power when engaged, but don't move much air. Get a good mechanical fan on a good stock thermal clutch; no HD or RV clutches... just a good stock thermal fan clutch. Your AC efficiency will improve.

Water Romper
    Its not really as easy as you're thinking. I know that newer is often better, but that's not how it works. Let's say for instance that Chevy used the same compressor from 1995 through 2001. If you go to the parts store and ask for a compressor from a 2001 Silverado, you would get the exact same box as if you had asked for a 1998 truck. Since nothing changed about the engineering of the AC for those years, it won't help you to "upgrade" to a later year.
    Now assuming you wish to upgrade to the latest and greatest, like for instance the newer compressors found on later trucks. Now you are into a completely custom installation; you need to fabricate brackets that will mount a later LSx style compressor to the earlier traditional small block. Then you have to do the math and figure out of the new compressor has the right displacement for the evaporator, condensor, and capacity of the existing system. The worst thing you can do for an AC system is put too much compressor. You're better off using a lower capacity compressor and going overkill on the evap and condenser side.
    Stick with what you have. GM never did wonderful AC, so short of recommending buying a Ford (which will freeze your nipples off if running properly), just make the best of what you have.
    One recommendation I have for GMs is to replace the stock fan. Whatever it is, it sucks. They draw crazy amounts of power when engaged, but don't move much air. Get a good mechanical fan on a good stock thermal clutch; no HD or RV clutches... just a good stock thermal fan clutch. Your AC efficiency will improve.
    Curtis,
    Great tips...thanks!
    And the fan thing, I will look into this this weekend.