Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setup on Riverkid's Schiada

jh4rt
    Riverkid, I have some questions I'm hoping you can answer about the setup on your boat. I just bought a '78 Schiada 20 SS with a '86 200 Merc mounted directly on the transom (in a well). I'm doing a bunch of research because right now the boat only goes about 55 (@5200 RPM with a 23" lazer prop). I would really like to go a bit faster and am researching mounting the engine on a bracket / transom jack. Can you tell me about your setup?
    How far is your engine setback from the transom?
    What is your "x" dimension (I think that is what it is called... the distance from bottom of boat to center line of prop)?
    What prop do you run?
    What kind of speed do you get from your setup?
    Do you run a transom Jack? Low water pickup?
    Steering? Hydraulic? What kind?
    Thank you so much for your help. I included one picture of my boat. I can post more later.
    --j

h2oski2fast
    RiverKid has a 21' Shiada. The set back is about 12", not sure what prop it runs. It runs about the same speed as yours.
    I almost bought your boat. You got it from the Saunders? If you are only getting 5200 Rs out of it...... I would suggest going to a smaller prop maybe 21 or 22. I don't exactly what rpms they are supposed to run, but I would figure (and someone correct meif I'm wrong) around 6000. That and moving the motor up a bit will help. Remember Shiada's are solid boats and it takes a lot to get them going. As far as a set back, the futher from the transom, the higher the motor will need to be. I think his boat has hydraulic steering. Not sure how much you want to spend on the boat (hydraulic steering is about $1000). I'm going to put it on my boat over the winter, I hate the torque steer.
    How does the boat handle with the current set up? Does it get up on plane good? This will help determine if the motor height is correct.
    Here's the boat I just bought:
    http://www.hillbankusa.com/signfx/gmt/DSC00008.jpg
    http://www.hillbankusa.com/signfx/gmt/DSC00012.jpg
    It's a 19' GMT w/ 2.4 Merc Offshore 240hp. It spins a 24 to about 5900 to 63+mph. I am going to try a 22 and see if I can get 6500 and a bit more top end out of it. The boat is layed up like a tank.

jh4rt
    Thanks for the reply h2oski2fast!
    Yeah... I bought it from the Saunders. The 23 is my brother's (24 Spectra with twin 200 Merc's on brackets). The boat came with a 22" four blade "ski prop" which would pull about the same RPM. It had been banged a few times; not sure what pitch it really is now. I used a lazer II 20" at the river over thanksgiving. It would spin well over 6k (tach only goes to 6k). It has cable steering. I have ripped the interior out and taken it apart for the winter project and am trying to decide on a few things.
    For sure:
    - hydraulic steering, all new gages, all new cables, new foot throttle, steering wheel and re-upholster the interior.
    Trying to decide:
    - set back bracket
    - transom jack
    - just raise the motor on the transom and remove the wedge
    - simon motorsports 300x
    - optimax 250xs
    The jack seems like a good idea, but... kind of pricey in addition to a setback, and the boat may run really well if i just get it set up right. A new engine is unlikely. This one runs really pretty well, and I probably ought to get the most from it. Doing the work to reenforce the transom for a jack / setback wouldn't be a waste as I could still use it with more horsepower.
    BTW: That boat sure looks an awful lot like a spectra 19. ;-)
    Thanks for your reply.
    --j

Riverkid
    I will forgive you for not knowing shiat because you usually bring the beers to ski day... Maybe you should stop drinking so many of them...
    Mine has a Gil Marine tube bracket that has 24" setback. The prop is a half mile back from the transom. The motor is rigged too low, as the bullet is a couple inches below the keel line when trimmed neutral.
    I run a custom Precision Prop Turbo 14 1/4 X 20 SS three blade. It gives a lot of bow lift which helps get the nose up. The motor spins it to 6K. My boat may be slow, but with the trim tabs down it rides bitchin.
    Jimmy Wilkes had his way with my powerhead a long time ago but the guy I bought the boat back from never used it, maybe once a year if that. It's been fully balanced & printed, tuner, etc.
    No jack plate. It does have full Seastar hydraulic steering. Dennis needs this like crazy on his GMT (it is a Spectra that Eliminator laid up for Gilbreath)...
    I think mine does 55 or so - never bothered to check it. We just use the boat to cruise with the twins and drag drunken skiers around the lake when we should really be working... I did get Kyle & Jeff up double on play skis which surprised me a bit though.
    My boat is an '85 bought bare after being laid up for a V drive and then rigged as an OB... Way solid and real heavy. I got the file with it that's 2" thick and covers every single penny spent on it all the way back to the original MSO's from Schiada and Ellis...
    Good luck with yours.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...96_Medium_.jpg

h2oski2fast
    No jack plate. It does have full Seastar hydraulic steering. Dennis needs this like crazy on his GMT (it is a Spectra that Eliminator laid up for Gilbreath)...
    Yes, I do need the hydraulic steering. I hate fighting the torque steer on the thing (especially when it gets trimmed up). It will happen over winter, I just hope it's easily adapted to the existing steering setup.
    I am also doing a restro on it over the winter. Getting rid of all the gold anno, probably putting in a stereo, dual batteries, changing the rear seat (cause it weighs about 250lbs), new gauges, and maybe a cummunication system.

Riverkid
    Yes, I do need the hydraulic steering. I hate fighting the torque steer on the thing (especially when it gets trimmed up). It will happen over winter, I just hope it's easily adapted to the existing steering setup.
    I am also doing a restro on it over the winter. Getting rid of all the gold anno, probably putting in a stereo, dual batteries, changing the rear seat (cause it weighs about 250lbs), new gauges, and maybe a cummunication system.
    No way can you pull that GMT steering extension off. I bet SuperDave would make you a bracket to mount the Seastar (or other) hydraulic helm behind the dash... You're a smart guy. You'll figure it out.
    I remember bending my leg and jamming my elbow in to hold that biatch straight once I started in with the up trim. That and a new back seat are the only things it really needs.
    Maybe a stereo? Are you freaking kidding me?..
    I have a PCI intercom setup in the buggy. I'm going to have one portable for the Catalina race this year. PCI Scott will wire the helmets or you can get all the puzzle pieces at Kartek. That would be cool with an ipod or Satradio feeding the intercom!

h2oski2fast
    No way can you pull that GMT steering extension off. I bet SuperDave would make you a bracket to mount the Seastar (or other) hydraulic helm behind the dash... You're a smart guy. You'll figure it out.
    I remember bending my leg and jamming my elbow in to hold that biatch straight once I started in with the up trim. That and a new back seat are the only things it really needs.
    Maybe a stereo? Are you freaking kidding me?..
    I have a PCI intercom setup in the buggy. I'm going to have one portable for the Catalina race this year. PCI Scott will wire the helmets or you can get all the puzzle pieces at Kartek. That would be cool with an ipod or Satradio feeding the intercom!
    The extension isn't going anywhere. I just have to figure out how to hook the Seastar helm to it. All the steering cable right now are in front of the bulkhead. I plan on putting the hydraulic helm in the same place.
    I have to have a stereo, thats just me. I'm looking at different ways to make it work. I will design it as light as possible, and make it so I don't cut into the boat at all (except for maybe the bulkhead). I figure lightening the rear seat will offset the weight of the stereo. It'll only be one amp 2 subs and 4 6x9s. Not sure of the head unit yet, but I have a couple ideas, probably won't be a conventional head unit.
    I'll look into the PCI stuff, don't know much about it. I'll be using the headphone style, you'd look mighty goofy riding around backward with a helmet on.

Riverkid
    I knew you'd have to have tunes, that why I wrote that...
    We have the carbon fiber headphones for the buggy. Those would work backwards...

blender over
    Thanks for the reply h2oski2fast!
    Yeah... I bought it from the Saunders. The 23 is my brother's (24 Spectra with twin 200 Merc's on brackets). The boat came with a 22" four blade "ski prop" which would pull about the same RPM. It had been banged a few times; not sure what pitch it really is now. I used a lazer II 20" at the river over thanksgiving. It would spin well over 6k (tach only goes to 6k). It has cable steering. I have ripped the interior out and taken it apart for the winter project and am trying to decide on a few things.
    For sure:
    - hydraulic steering, all new gages, all new cables, new foot throttle, steering wheel and re-upholster the interior.
    Trying to decide:
    - set back bracket
    - transom jack
    - just raise the motor on the transom and remove the wedge
    - simon motorsports 300x
    - optimax 250xs
    The jack seems like a good idea, but... kind of pricey in addition to a setback, and the boat may run really well if i just get it set up right. A new engine is unlikely. This one runs really pretty well, and I probably ought to get the most from it. Doing the work to reenforce the transom for a jack / setback wouldn't be a waste as I could still use it with more horsepower.
    BTW: That boat sure looks an awful lot like a spectra 19. ;-)
    Thanks for your reply.
    --j
    go with simon, im sure if you buy a motor from him he will set it up correct!!!
    my bros 300 was pushing 350hp with only a couple mods :crossx:

Boat211
    Dont forget to keep an eye on your water pressure when raising the motor. There is definatly speed in doing that though. That GMT looks bitchin. Look closely at the picture that is there. The mail box in the backround looks like a bass boat seat. I have PCI comm. in my CYCLONE, it works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast