Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braided Hose?

miller19j
    I am currently running 5/8 heater hose for my cooling hoses and my system works very well. But I would like to convert to AN fittings and lines but do not know what Number AN hose is equivalent to 5/8. Does anyone know?
    Any info would be appreciated

flat broke
    I think -10 would be the closest equivaalent. Get ready to pay up, and deffinitely measure 2x and cut once I don't know how you were planing on doing it, but I'd take a lot of measurements, buy your hose in bulk and custom fit each hose for its location. You insert your NPT to AN fittings on the motor/inlet/exhaust, put the AN hose end on the hose and tighten onto one side of the runs NPT/AN fitting, then mock the hose the the other end. Take out the correct amount of hose for the other hose end, then pull the hose off the boat, cut, install other hose end, and repeat for every line you want to replace. This way you are only cutting off the bulk of hose and not wasting any.
    To cut the braided, you can use a big chisel on flat concrete, or a bandsaw, or a chop saw. You'll want to use tape (I use electrical) at the incision point to minimize the fraying. Hopefully you have a simple coolling system and it wont cost ya too much.
    Good luck,
    Chris

Boater Bill
    I believe #10 is just under, #12 is just over. I use #10 from the jet to the engine, #8 from the intake to the headers, and #8 for fuel delivery.

miller19j
    flat broke:
    I think -10 would be the closest equivaalent. Get ready to pay up, and deffinitely measure 2x and cut once I don't know how you were planing on doing it, but I'd take a lot of measurements, buy your hose in bulk and custom fit each hose for its location. You insert your NPT to AN fittings on the motor/inlet/exhaust, put the AN hose end on the hose and tighten onto one side of the runs NPT/AN fitting, then mock the hose the the other end. Take out the correct amount of hose for the other hose end, then pull the hose off the boat, cut, install other hose end, and repeat for every line you want to replace. This way you are only cutting off the bulk of hose and not wasting any.
    To cut the braided, you can use a big chisel on flat concrete, or a bandsaw, or a chop saw. You'll want to use tape (I use electrical) at the incision point to minimize the fraying. Hopefully you have a simple coolling system and it wont cost ya too much.
    Good luck,
    ChrisThanks I have priced out the parts and it looks like it will be about $450.00. I will definitely measure twice! Cut once

78Eliminator
    miller19j:
    flat broke:
    Good luck,
    ChrisThanks I have priced out the parts and it looks like it will be about $450.00. I will definitely measure twice! Cut onceTry to go to a place where they will cut them all for you. It sucks cutting that crap.....

MikeF
    You can wrap it w/ tape and cut it w/a jigsaw. Seems to be the quickest way, unless you have a bandsaw .

missilemud
    i used all earl's stuff . its ok but summit does not carry all the right fittings, go direct to holley and ask them for an earl's catolog first. i did my two boats with every inch of it. get the wrench's too. oil them up nicey and nothing will gall, i use number 12 coming in tee'd off to nuber 10 then step my outlets from the heads to number 8.

missilemud
    and use a high speed cut off wheel with shrink tubing on it first , a hack saw will give you the hacked and raggy effect ouch those things hurt , the wizzy wheel makes a nicer cut

gnarley
    Cutting is EASY!
    1. Use a metal cutoff saw with duct tape wrapped around where you want to cut it
    2. Use a Die-grinder with a cutoff wheel with duct tape wrapped around where you want to cut it
    3. Use garden pruning bypass shears (the ones with big handles & small blades) with duct tape wrapped around where you want to cut it.
    This stuff is not difficult to work with, just watch for torn threads that might stick you & spray a lot of silicone spray on the fittings & hose as you are installing the fittings

Hotcrusader76
    gnarley:
    Cutting is EASY!
    2. Use a Die-grinder with a cutoff wheel with duct tape wrapped around where you want to cut it
    This stuff is not difficult to work with, just watch for torn threads that might stick you & spray a lot of silicone spray on the fittings & hose as you are installing the fittings I also concurr on this...A die grinder with a simple cut off wheel works great.
    It is "very easy" when you have the right tools. Invest in a small vice with "soft" jaw inserts to protect the fittings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast