Thread: 427 Fe

Cas
    what's it worth? what's the availability of parts? I know nothing about these engines except they are pretty rare and very sought after.
    I'm asking for a friend that appears he will be getting a 1965 Stevens in total disrepair but has the FE in it.

FE's leak, and Stevens' are crap. I"ll take it off his hands though.
    Depends on which 427 it is. I wouldn't use it as a daily boat... way too expensive to fix/replace if he grenades it. Get some casting #'s off the block and heads. Also look to see if it has screw in freeze plugs or not. There's more to IDing it, but this'll work to start.

Oldschool427
    I have a 1964 427 Center Oiler that will be for sale soon. Edelbrock Super Cobra jet heads, Scat crank, J.E. pistons, RPM rods, Edelbrock RPM manifold, Comp Roller rocker and lifters, MDS. I am replacing with a 460 crate motor.

what's it worth? what's the availability of parts? I know nothing about these engines except they are pretty rare and very sought after.
    I'm asking for a friend that appears he will be getting a 1965 Stevens in total disrepair but has the FE in it.
    Good way to ID a 427 is the block will have cross bolted mains. There should be 3 capscrews on each side of the block just above the pan rail. Early center oiler blocks have press in freese plugs and side oilers have screw-in steel plugs as a general rule. If there are no cross bolts its a 99% chance it is not a 427, I have heard of a couple of sightings of non cross bolt 427s but its never been more than a rumor. Can you get the casting numbers for the block and heads? As to parts availability just about everything is available for the FE as there is any other popular engine. There are 4 different cos. that make 427 blocks in iron and aluminum, same for the heads in several different configurations [CJ, Medium riser, Hi riser, Tunnel port, etc.] Weak points of the FE is the valve train is marginal in stock configuration and the 9+" pushrods. Old wive's tales say they have oiling problems but it just that, an old wive's tale. Even the center oilers oiled just fine with the std. mods such as 8-10 qt pan and a properly set up crank/rods/bearings. And contrary to popular belief they do not need 90-100+ lbs of oil pressure. A properly built FE will survive just fine on 10 lbs per 1000 rpms just like any SBC or BBC.

DEL51
    roostwear, what happened to your 427?