Thread: Special Bolts???

jh4rt
    Does anyone know if I need special stainless bolts for mounting my 200 merc to the transom? Is there one alloy better than another?

Every one that I have seen, including mine have stanless steel bolts.
    Steve

jh4rt
    I haven't found anywhere that says one alloy is better than another so I'm going with the old standbye: 1/2-20 x 4-1/2 stainless. ;-)

Screaming Pete
    stainless all the way and polish them before and they will look bitchen

Tom Brown
    I picked up stainless bolts from an industrial supplier. I'm running a 260 and there have been no problems. You can also use cad plated steel and they will stand up just fine.
    If you go stainless, be sure to re-torque them after you run for the first few times. They will stretch a bit.
    20 ft-lbs when clamping through wood. 60 ft-lbs when clamping through metal.

Tunnel Vision
    Does anyone know if I need special stainless bolts for mounting my 200 merc to the transom? Is there one alloy better than another?
    jh4rt, Use 18-8 Stainless Steel, the Rockwell hardness is B80-B100 with 1/2"-20 threads NF and be sure to use "Nevr-seize" on the threads.
    17-4PH stainless will work too but your local industrial faster dealer will have both.
    My .02
    TV

jh4rt
    Some have said if you use 18-8 for the bolts, you ought to use 300 or 316 for the nuts to try to prevent galling.
    YES !! Never Sieze is a MUST !!! (I love that stuff; have thought of bathing in it.)
    Thanks for the advice. I have some 18-8's that will work and just need to polish 'em up this weekend.

Tom Brown
    YES !! Never Sieze is a MUST !!!
    I couldn't agree more.
    I've galled a few stainless nuts in my day. It's not fun grinding them off. I use WD-40, though. It works just fine.