Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OLDS 455 New Build Problems

southwind racer
    I just had Mondello's redo my 455 (they covered the costs thank god) after some problems with their first build on the engine last summer. They said they ran it in, but I took the engine out a couple of weekends ago to a local lake and saw that it would blow oil out of the dipstick and valve cover vent past 2800 RPMS for a sustained period.
    I have a 10 qt. pan on it with restrictors and everything. Put Edelbrock heads on it and those supposably have better oil drainage to the block. I checked the oil level and it was a little on the high side.
    Would the engine blow oil like that if the oil level was high? Would it do it for any other reason?

TIMINATOR
    What restrictors? The cam bearing ones? You want to restrict the oil through the pushrod tubes. You can get them with smaller holes. Also, don't use a high volume pump, and make sure the oiling system is ported, and the bearing clearances are right. ***boat (the magazine) had an Olds buildup atricle last year.Read it. TIMINATOR

Over filled oil pan, and the fact the engine sits at a 10 degree angle, you can bet your crank is slinging the oil, causing it to airate. An over filled oil pan will also cost you HP too.

Taylorman
    To answer your question, no it should not blow oil out of the dipstick, especially at that low rpm range. I've built 2 engines in my entire life and my 455 runs right at 5000 rpms and no problems with it, knock on wood.
    Ive head numerous problems with engines that Mondello's built. Sounds to me like you rings are not seating causing blow by. Should not happen on a new motor.

malcolm
    Sounds like Mondellos is still building fine Olds motors.

Taylorman
    So did you send them your engine for a rebuild the first time or is this a new motor that you bought from them?

southwind racer
    So did you send them your engine for a rebuild the first time or is this a new motor that you bought from them?
    I blew my old 455 and decided to get a brand new motor. My pop convinced me to stay with the 455 because it was mounted and I had the stacks and everything. I was going to do the assembly myself. They blue printed the block and machined the crank. I bought all the other parts new from them. They said they would send me all the parts I need and make sure everything is clearenced right so all I have to do is assembly and make sure things are torqued down right.
    I got all the parts back and I decided to check the clearances just to make sure. The crank and case clearances where .011 and the rods where off too. The pins for the piston and rods didn't even go through the rods. I called them and got the run around how that could never happen, etc. Took the motor back to them myself and made them check the tollerances in front of me. After the tollerances were off I demanded they assemble the engine because they said it was going to be another month and this was mid-summer. I ended up paying 1/2 price for assembly from them. Got the motor back and heard a knocking sound. Took it back to them to open themselves and all I heard was "Something went wrong". I had to ask all a couple people at Mondello to figure out it spun a bearing and the guy who assembled my engine turned out to be fired a couple weeks before....I'm guessing he didn't even redo anything and just slapped it back together with the bad clearances.
    Now I have the oil problem. It could be the angle of the engine, I will lower the oil and run it on the hose in the front yard and see what happens. I have a rev limiter on it, the owner of Mondello told me to keep it under 4k RPM for the first 8 hours, and with all the trouble I have I'm gonna listen to him.

Taylorman
    I blew my old 455 and decided to get a brand new motor. My pop convinced me to stay with the 455 because it was mounted and I had the stacks and everything. I was going to do the assembly myself. They blue printed the block and machined the crank. I bought all the other parts new from them. They said they would send me all the parts I need and make sure everything is clearenced right so all I have to do is assembly and make sure things are torqued down right.
    I got all the parts back and I decided to check the clearances just to make sure. The crank and case clearances where .011 and the rods where off too. The pins for the piston and rods didn't even go through the rods. I called them and got the run around how that could never happen, etc. Took the motor back to them myself and made them check the tollerances in front of me. After the tollerances were off I demanded they assemble the engine because they said it was going to be another month and this was mid-summer. I ended up paying 1/2 price for assembly from them. Got the motor back and heard a knocking sound. Took it back to them to open themselves and all I heard was "Something went wrong". I had to ask all a couple people at Mondello to figure out it spun a bearing and the guy who assembled my engine turned out to be fired a couple weeks before....I'm guessing he didn't even redo anything and just slapped it back together with the bad clearances.
    Now I have the oil problem. It could be the angle of the engine, I will lower the oil and run it on the hose in the front yard and see what happens. I have a rev limiter on it, the owner of Mondello told me to keep it under 4k RPM for the first 8 hours, and with all the trouble I have I'm gonna listen to him.
    I'd demand some money back, at least the cost of a rebuild and send it to someone else. There are plenty good Olds builders around, Mondello's sucks. Thats not just my opinion, go to realoldspower.com and ask everyones opinion of them. I hear www.rocketracingperformance.com and www.btrperformance.com are great. I dont think your problems are with the Olds, its with the people that built your engine. Don't give up on your 455, just have it built right.

southwind racer
    Need some more advice: I checked the oil pressure on the trailer and it was at 1/2 level. Ran it on the hose for 1/2 an hour and no oil blowing issues.
    Took it to the lake on Sunday and it did the same thing. I got off the phone with Mondello's and they said:
    1) I can be over pressurizing the block from my jet. I should have a pressure regulator on the pump that only allows 7 lbs of pressure into the motor.
    2) Counter to #1 that I could not have enough water flow from the jet and could be over heating it.
    Recommended that I do the following:
    1) Buy a pressure regulator and gauge and regulate the pressure at 7 lbs. My question to you guys, where the heck do I find such a setup? Is my best bet putting something together from Grainger that fits a water hose?
    2) On the right hand rear of the intake manifold they recommend I exaust water out a 2nd bulkhead fitting to have less water pressure in the engine with more flow. I am already 1/2 the water to the headers, and the other halft to 1 bulkhead fitting on the rear of the engine.
    My main question is has anyone done this before, and know a good source for parts?

TahitiTiger
    Talk to Tom at Jet Boat Performance, he knows the olds in Jet boats real well. I myself run my 455 at 10-12psi on the water, but I have logs. The proper way to regulate your water preasure is to get a preasure valve, and another through transom exit. I my self plan on doing this in the near future, at the moment my water preasure is regulated by the ball valve at the pump, which I understand is wrong.
    edit: Check this thread out lots of pics
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149835

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast