Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paint for speaker grills

ROZ
    I see you've hear my wife...
    Thinner woods resonate more.. 1" ply doesn't resonate much.... It's thenm peeps using 1/2 when it's not even the right thickness for the appliaction anyway
    Actually, 1Step easily has one of the nicest sounding systems around...

ROZ
    Well it ain't cheap.. I found out the hard way by underbidding

rivercrazy
    My sub box is made from 3/4" marine plywood resined, glassed, and gelcoated. I can never hear any resonating. Its very solid. At least with four 10" subs receiving 1350 watts.
    Personally speaking, I'd never use MDF in a boating application

1stepcloser
    I can hear plywood resonate like most people can hear their wife's nagging.
    I dont hear my wife anymore.... in fact we havent spoke in weeks.
    The last time I bought 1" ply, I think I paid like $60 a sheet. Maybe I got bucked.I recall it was around $85.00 per sheet.
    Maybe I got bucked!
    And normally I wont dispute anything here, but if I hadn't told you I used ply for my enclosure, I'd take bets you'd never know.

Tom Brown
    The problem with plywood is voids. Marine plywood is supposed to be free of voids. If there are any voids, you will hear them buzz and it will ruin your sound until you replace them. You should be fine with marine. Just make sure you test them for rattles before you install them in your boat.
    MDF is not the best material for a speaker enclosure but it's decent, cheap, and machines beautifully. There's little need for more expensive material in most speaker enclosures. The manufacturers who say otherwise are selling to golden eared egotists who can tell the difference between different brands of speaker wire... that came from the same machine in the same factory.
    MDF will go to crap when it gets wet. There are MDF variants that will resist moisture much better. They're less dense than regular MDF so that will be a detriment to sound quality in a sub enclosure but you could make it up by running two thicknesses and/or bracing more.
    BTW, many of the current leaders in the audio industry are trying laminated MDF/K3 enclosures that are superior to the same thickness of either material. I can't believe it would make much difference, though. Enclosure resonance is a pretty small problem compared to baffle diffraction and even that's nothing compared to network design issues.
    ... just my $0.02.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12