Thread: Building a twin turbo SBC

antonmies
    Hi All!
    I'm building an SBC406. It will haveEagle 4340 crank, h-profile con rods, JE extreme duty pistons, moly rings, Clevite tri metal bearings, self fabricated intake manifold with aftercooler in it, self fabricated oil pan, fully programmable fuel injection and direct ignition with two HALL sensors(ie no distributor) and MSD crank trigger wheel. The ECU Finnish brand Hestec which is similar to Autronic and Haltech. There will be PLX wideband lambda kit(The best there is!!) and EGT probe for tuning and as machines "life insurance"
    The power level should be approx 550-600hv with this setup. The block is medium filled 509 block, but I'm worried about it...
    Camshaft is a Comp Cams CS XM 278H-12 with adv durations 278/292 and at .050 234/244 which should make a pretty good turbo cam. Lobe sep is 112deg
    Turbos will be 2x GT3267, wastegates will have to be relatively big because of low boost so I will propably go with Turbosmart ProGate which has 48mm valve, 46mm openings and 22mm valve travel!
    There will be closed loop cooling system with heat exhanger that will propably be fabricated out of a sturdy bar and plate intercooler.
    Jet is a Berkeley 12JB(pre model for JG) with G split bowl and Berkeley droop.
    It seems that I'm the first guy in Finland doing this kind of setup and I need every piece of good information about tuning the whole complex thing...
    And since this is my first boat, I would like to have some detailed pictures of everything regarding turbos, installations "under the hood", jet intake, bowl blueprinting, ride plates etc.etc. and about an accurate steering system. That is of cource if you are willing to assist me in such mannor.
    The boats hull is a deep Vee hull that is 19' long.
    What do you think guys? What should I take into serious consideration and look into? Pretty much everything will be self fabricated.
    I will post pics as the project goes forward.
    ps. I wasn't sure where to put this message, Thought it should be here because of "aiding the air travel to the machine". Move this to an appropriate place if you feel like it!
    Anton
    Finland

TurboNova
    I would be worried about the block, we have split cylinders on a stock block like that around 600hp without a turbo. Me personally, I would get an aftermarket block.
    The rest of your combo looks good.
    I wouldn't put much faith in tuning with the EGT sensor, use your PLX for tuning and watch your EGTs for reference only.

antonmies
    Thanks for the answer!
    Did you have block hardener in similar blocks you used? The aftermarket block is what I'm drooling about, but at the time the $$$ is pretty limited :cry:. That's why I'll be running with relatively low power output. I forgot to mention that the block has splayed steel caps, but that doesn't help much for the walls... It's annoying that the block is the limiting factor I have to hope for the best and fear for the worst.
    The heads are slightly ported AFR 195cc.
    Yes the EGT:s will be as reference only when tuning. AFR will be the main thing.
    I was thinking about A impeller. Am I on the right track? AA would be too big I guess. What I have now is an aluminum A, but I will be using that only as a reference and get the proper size bronze or SS impeller based on my experiences.

TurboNova
    I have a Dart Iron Eagle in my car, I had one friend that would get about (40) 1/4 miles passes out of his 400 block, he would go home and measure the crack along the main saddle and after it would get so far he would scrap it. He was using 400hp of nitrous on it though. If you are going to use it I would definitely use block filler. You have 1000+ horsepower of turbo but much less of a block. The splayed caps help but in the end the cylinder walls will give you trouble, the steam holes are not the best for turbo applications either.

antonmies
    Thanks Brian,
    The block has medium fill in it. That is about to upper level of the side freeze plugs.
    Can I block the steam holes some how? I red somewhere that I should also install threaded 3/4" pipe plugs to the upper water holes at the deck surface.
    Actually the turbos are capable only about 375/piece. See the attached compressor map. The efficiencys look good though and the island also.
    I also attached the scetch for the intake manifold and the pic of the boat. It will have some visual changes(the wake rack removed, windshield, necessary scoops etc.). The boat isn't really wide.
    I guess if I was able to sell enough new Holset HX50:s, I would be able to go for the Dart little M. HX50:s are for big boost and evil machines. They go low 9's with them back here...

TurboNova
    My bad I was looking at the GT3561s.
    I wouldn't plug the steam holes just something you should be aware of. The plugs in the deck is a good idea, people tap the block and drill a smaller hole through so water can still enter the head, then mill off the excess flat with the deck.

antonmies
    What is the problem with the steam holes?
    What's your opinion on the intake manifold? The total lenght from the valve to the bell is approx 300mm. Throttle body will be a 75mm piece. Aftercoolers core is 460x160x90mm which I find adequate, but well see...