Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what rpm's

ovrkll77
    I have a 454 with a 6 71 on it. the motor is a full roller with built internals, the engine builder told me it's capable of running at 6000 rpm, but that just seems a little high. Oh yeah, forgot to mention it also has a turbo 400 and a speed mater 3.

737jetmech
    6000 rpm for short periods will not hurt as the engine was assembled correctly.Rpm is controlled by amount of load (Impeller , prop size )you have installed in your boat. Rule of thumb 10 psi oil pressure for every 1000 rpm and monitor oil temp.
    Good crank , rods, fasteners... a good idea!

SmokinLowriderSS
    Even if you are running the factory Hi perf pieces (forged crank, the "good" rods with the 7/16" boron steel bolts) the factory rates the engine at a sustained 7,000, tripable to 7600 for short times. This according to my techbook.

ovrkll77
    Even if you are running the factory Hi perf pieces (forged crank, the "good" rods with the 7/16" boron steel bolts) the factory rates the engine at a sustained 7,000, tripable to 7600 for short times. This according to my techbook.
    wow, 7000 thats alot, it seems like the engine is screaming at 5200.

bigkatboat
    So you don't know about 'boat hull designs' (Hawaiian VS Warlock) and now you don't know about motors either. And you 'question my backround', you jackass. That little motor won't go fast unless you spin it up! 6000RPM is not really that high, and "your engine builder" is telling you that the springs, rods, rod bolts, and assembly are not going to BLOW UP at 6000RPMs. Tell us what gears, prop pitch and RPM you have, we will tell you what you SHOULD be running for a speed.

ovrkll77
    So you don't know about 'boat hull designs' (Hawaiian VS Warlock) and now you don't know about motors either. And you 'question my backround', you jackass. That little motor won't go fast unless you spin it up! 6000RPM is not really that high, and "your engine builder" is telling you that the springs, rods, rod bolts, and assembly are not going to BLOW UP at 6000RPMs. Tell us what gears, prop pitch and RPM you have, we will tell you what you SHOULD be running for a speed.why jackass? It is a 454 with a turbo 400 going to a speedmaster 3 with a 32p 5 blade. and this is my first 454 that i've delt with so relax. And another reason I am not sure on the build is I purchased boat with motor built, and one of the builders past away, so it makes it a little difficult to get all specs. And as much as I "don't know about motors" I built several engines that made big power, one of them is my truck that runs mid 12's.

SmokinLowriderSS
    wow, 7000 thats alot, it seems like the engine is screaming at 5200.
    My bone stock Indmar 454 ran 5300 on nitrous from 1979 till 2004 when I rebuilt it in an upgrade program. The only thing worn out were lower end bearings. New rod bolts from ARP (3/8") forced the rebuild tho. I'm running a cast crank, used to have the factory "weak" rod bolts (3/8" knurled), the "std duty" forged steel rods, cast pistons. Sure, it's not a 9K rice-grinder motor, but you can spin the heck out of it if you build it right.

You never know exactly what is in your motor, or if it was assembled properly unless you do it personaly.

ovrkll77
    You never know exactly what is in your motor, or if it was assembled properly unless you do it personaly. thats for sure.

johnnyboatman
    spin it where you fill good at. i spin mine at 5500 some time 5800 builder said 6000 would be fine but im poor and i dont want to tear it down every winter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast