Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Police and Firefighter pay

jbone
    With all the talk recently about pay, I thought I'd share a phrase that I think is right on.
    "Cops get paid too much 70% of the time, just right 20% of the time, and not nearly enough 10% of the time."
    It seams like people only like looking at the 70% when determining whether or not cops are overpaid. The same goes for firefighters I'm sure.
    J

clownpuncher
    My opinion about all the BS talk about us whining about being underpaid.
    1st off - Not one person has ever heard me say that I was underpaid. I'm sure that's the same with many other FF on this board. Sure, I wish I made more, but, it was enough for me to do twenty years and get ****ed up lungs for an "earlier than I wanted" retirement. IMO, best blue collar job in the world. Cops do get to play with some pretty cool toys though I'd do it again, same pay and everything.
    2nd - Some of the talk may have been embelished from the original discussion. I remember some FF's saying they don't become firemen for the $$, cuz the pay ain't that great. We do it because we love it.
    Oh, and chicks dig it
    Don't turn this into another FF-popo bashing thread or I'll just have to pick up my ball and go to the river. Ah **** it, I'm goin anyway.
    See y'all next week. Fockers

H20Advantage
    I've never complained about my pay either. We are always striving for better pay and most of the times raises don't even meet cost of living increases.
    What people forget is we are first responders. Whose gonna go into that meth lab, fire, or other hazardous situation.
    Whose gonna deal with that out of control suspect with Hepatitas A,B or C or other disease.
    When I first got into this job I thought I needed to be the best shot, runner and fighter. I soon found out I need to be a counselor, Hazmat expert, and a variety of other things that pay way beyond what I would be making.
    I go to work everyday and never know if I will come home. If I do come home will I have received and injury or contracted some disease I will have to live with for the rest of my life.
    I get paid well but sometimes it feels I should get paid more. Yet higher pay or not I go to my job everyday because I love it. I also go because the majority of the people out there in this world really appreciate the things that I do.

probablecause
    I've never complained about my pay either. We are always striving for better pay and most of the times raises don't even meet cost of living increases.
    What people forget is we are first responders. Whose gonna go into that meth lab, fire, or other hazardous situation.
    Whose gonna deal with that out of control suspect with Hepatitas A,B or C or other disease.
    When I first got into this job I thought I needed to be the best shot, runner and fighter. I soon found out I need to be a counselor, Hazmat expert, and a variety of other things that pay way beyond what I would be making.
    I go to work everyday and never know if I will come home. If I do come home will I have received and injury or contracted some disease I will have to live with for the rest of my life.
    I get paid well but sometimes it feels I should get paid more. Yet higher pay or not I go to my job everyday because I love it. I also go because the majority of the people out there in this world really appreciate the things that I do.
    Right on the money (no punn intended).

Lunatic
    You are 100 percent correct and I am right there with you.

Huckleberry
    Very well put.

Kindsvater Flat
    I have no bitches. I make $200 a month before taxes for being a volunteer fire chief and can be sued just the same as the one making $100k or whatever they get.

bigq
    No matter what you do everyone wants to make more money, I doubt it is just Police and Fireman (or is it person now?). I think it is more of an issue because the public pay the salary. I would think most are content with the pay and the benefits, remember they wern't drafted into it, it is a chosen field, but like I said everyone wants more money, have you seen the price of housing in Califonication.

imnigel
    I know I don’t post very much but I would have to say that I don’t think LEOs and FFs aren't paid enough or appreciated nearly enough. And I would like to say something that I am sure neither of you hear enough…thank you for keeping us safe and a live.

78Anthonyjet
    Anyone that runs into a building when the chit has hit the fan, while I am running out should make a lot of freaking money, be it a Cop, Fire Fighter or Paramedic. I don't think that any one doing those jobs is paid enough for the chit that they have to put up with on a daily basis.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast