Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody runing the 16 volt batteries in your boat

565edge
    I am interested in runing the 16 volt battery in my boat,have anybody used one or know who has?

77charger
    565edge:
    I am interested in runing the 16 volt battery in my boat,have anybody used one or know who has? i have seen some in the race boats at ming.You need a special batt charger for them since most batt chargers stop at around 12-13 volts.For a race application when you will manually charge the battery and not use an alternator then i think they are perfect.for rec use you wont get full use of the battery

Moneypitt
    No, never needed more than just a standard ol' down the road car battery, charged between heats as necessary. Why do you think you need 16 volts?..........Moneypitt

superdave013
    Moneypitt:
    No, never needed more than just a standard ol' down the road car battery, charged between heats as necessary. Why do you think you need 16 volts?..........Moneypitt It spins the motor faster for those mags that start so well.

Moneypitt
    Even with the mag, never needed more than a 12 volt, strong battery. Actually an ignition that uses a coil is likely to need more juice than a standard mag,(pulse generator), because of the volt drop while cranking. 565edge, have you taken a voltage reading while cranking the motor? How low does the 12V battery drop? In my old drag car days, we would use an 8D truck, 12V, huge battery.(105 lbs dry) Mounted directly above the rear axle. I know this is too heavy for a boat, but battery technology has advanced so far since then, there should be a 12V out there with enough cranking power to do the job... But, if 12V is good, maybe 16V is better.....Moneypitt

565edge
    I ordered the 2 post 16 volt turbo start battery,the special charger and a 16 volt 110 amp alternator,People are getting away with gapping there plugs at .080,the starters love em(cranks over faster)They say ignition systems love it,same with fuel pumps,I just dont know about my bilge pumps?I want something to crank my boat over fast!!!!!I have a good 12 volt system now but every time i go to the lake i drain a battery,My motor is 15:1 comp and with my cam on a 114 lobe center it really packs the cylinders.

my friend has one in his cp tunnell w/468 chev. he loves it. I thought his was only 16 volts to the starter and had a 12 volt post for all the other components. maybe not. So 16 volts to the electronic ignition system is ok?

565edge
    cs19:
    my friend has one in his cp tunnell w/468 chev. he loves it. I thought his was only 16 volts to the starter and had a 12 volt post for all the other components. maybe not. So 16 volts to the electronic ignition system is ok? They make a 3 post 16 volt,1 post has a 12 volt terminal to run other components,i got a 16 volt 2 post and bought a 16 volt alternator,my msd and product engineering fuel pump and starter will all run off 16 volt.here is a link.http://www.turbostart.com/racing.htm
    [ August 20, 2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: 565edge ]

DogHouse
    Been looking at some of the better batteries lately to upgrade and help spin my beast over a little better. Anyone tried the Optima 1000M or the Odyssey 1700? Comments? I can see that they have a lot of extra cranking capacity but I'm wondering if they last long enough to be worth the extra $$$.
    Thanks,
    -brian

UBFJ #454
    We run a 16V (2 post, lead-acid) TurboStart System w/no alt. and are quite happy with it. Battery and charging system manufactured by New Castle Battery Mfg. Company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast