Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank You High Flow Dynamics!

'76Southwind
    :smile: I've been going to the river for over 25 years, and finally bought my first jet boat in early '06. I did my research & picked-up a 1976 19' Southwind with a 429 BBF,cobra jet heads,OTT Bassett Headers, loader grate, place diverter, all the "goods", even has a 100w stereo to drain the battery. With my past experience, and advice from all my river buds, I thought I had it all figured out. Reality hit on my second river trip when I grenaded the motor cruising by the remnents of Sundance bar on the Parker Strip. Long story longer, Paul from High Flow Dynamics stepped in and set me up with a new motor and tons of priceless knowledge. The new motor had a few quirks, but Paul was always available to help me out. We just tested and fine tuned this motor at Elsinore yesterday. Because of my lack of knowledge in setting up a high-performance motor, Paul offered to take the boat out with me and set-up all the fine tuning, and take the time to show me how to do it. He answered all my questions I had, and basically taught me the basics of jet boat maintenance. I own my own business, and I'm aware of how much integrity means to a customer. Paul went way above and beyond just building and delivering a motor. This is my humble way of trying to show my gratitude to Paul for doing such a kick-ass job. Paul, you're always welcome to join our crew at the river, whenever you can find the time!! Oh, and leave your wallet at home, consider yourself sponsored by team Morning Wood!

BrendellaJet
    Nice to hear HFD did you right.
    So how did it run?

Ralph Brunt
    AHHH another satisfied customer
    welcome to the bbf world
    ralph

dmontzsta
    You wont find many people like Paul. When it comes to the 385 he knows them in and out. Also, you wont find as many honest people as Paul. He actually gives a shit about everything he does, it is hard to find people like that in the world today.

460 jus getn it
    Glad to hear, paul is a great guy and knows fords.

IMPATIENT 1
    You wont find many people like Paul. When it comes to the 385 he knows them in and out. Also, you wont find as many honest people as Paul. He actually gives a shit about everything he does, it is hard to find people like that in the world today.

i 2nd that! i've learned tons from reading paul's postings and he's answered many questions for me, gave great advise to me and i've never bought anything from him.just truely a nice guy who is a wealth of knowledge!

LakesOnly
    :smile: I've been going to the river for over 25 years, and finally bought my first jet boat in early '06. I did my research & picked-up a 1976 19' Southwind with a 429 BBF,cobra jet heads,OTT Bassett Headers, loader grate, place diverter, all the "goods", even has a 100w stereo to drain the battery. With my past experience, and advice from all my river buds, I thought I had it all figured out. Reality hit on my second river trip when I grenaded the motor cruising by the remnents of Sundance bar on the Parker Strip. Long story longer, Paul from High Flow Dynamics stepped in and set me up with a new motor and tons of priceless knowledge. The new motor had a few quirks, but Paul was always available to help me out. We just tested and fine tuned this motor at Elsinore yesterday. Because of my lack of knowledge in setting up a high-performance motor, Paul offered to take the boat out with me and set-up all the fine tuning, and take the time to show me how to do it. He answered all my questions I had, and basically taught me the basics of jet boat maintenance. I own my own business, and I'm aware of how much integrity means to a customer. Paul went way above and beyond just building and delivering a motor. This is my humble way of trying to show my gratitude to Paul for doing such a kick-ass job. Paul, you're always welcome to join our crew at the river, whenever you can find the time!! Oh, and leave your wallet at home, consider yourself sponsored by team Morning Wood! Thanks very much 76 S/W, it was worth the effort (always is) and I even had some time on the water this season, thanks to our trip to Elsinore. (Boating time for me hasn't been as often as I like lately.)
    Motors such as yours are planned and built on a very personal level (as though it is one of my own) and so I get a great amount of personal satisfaction going to the lake with a new motor, lighting it off, setting it up and subsequently presenting it to its new owner in a turn-key state. Your build came out just as intended: more power than your last motor, and maybe just a little more power than you requested.
    Thanks very much for the kind words and enjoy your boat. And yes indeed, I hope that someday I can take up your invitation and hang out jet boating on the river.
    LO
    p.s.: Remember to do that 2nd round cam break-in next time you go out; I insist!

LakesOnly
    So how did it run?I guess I can answer this question for 76 S/W.
    First of all. let me say that the motor runs really great. But this is Steve's very first brand new jet boat motor, and I'd like it to be as maintenance free as possible for him while he go through his "learning curve" with jet boats and motor maintenance. For this reason, the tuneup is intentionally conservative.
    76 S/W's boat originally had a 429 when he bought it; we built him a 472 (.060" overbore 460) longblock. The motor is pump gas friendly (9.8:1 c/r), square decked Stage 1 block, Eagle I-beams, forged pistons, Stage 1 oil pump, agressively ported D0VE heads with the works in the valve train area, Miller roller rockers, and a hydraulic cam that I profiled for this build (reviewed some shelf grinds and eventually turned and had a custom cam ground). This motor has a tunnel ram with two 750's and OT headers. We shot for a triple prong:
    Pump gas friendly
    Vastly improved power over the previous engine
    Good reliability
    Yesterday's tuneup is intentionally conservative with 30* BTDC @ 3000. Oil pressure showed 50-pounds at 4000 rpm, 60 pounds at 5000. After 1st round cam break-in, I stabbed the throttle a few times and actually held it down for one 6-8 second extended pass. We didn't have GPS with us, but I wasn't about to hold the throttle down that long on a brand new motor anyway. Suffice it to say that this engine turns a Berkeley "B" impeller 6050-6100 rpm and sounds really nice doing it.
    LO
    p.s.: thanks to you other guys for the kind words. :redface:

'78 gt boat
    Still enjoying the motor that Paul built for my boat last year. My build is conservative as well but still gps'd at 58.7mph out at Anderson in south san jose. Thanks again Paul.

'76Southwind
    Just to throw another .02 cents iin. The boat runs great. I forgot to mention that while we were testing at elsinore, we came up on an old tahiti jet that was dead in the water. Since we had tools we stopped to take a look and Paul had the guy's boat up and running in about 10 minutes. Needless to say, the guy & his family were very thankful as it was getting late, & there were few other boats on the water. Aside from that, I've got a river trip planned for May 14-21st at Red Rock on the Parker Strip. We've got a couple of sites, we'll be meeting friends from Havasu, & assorted local transients. The rivers real nice monday - thursday perfect for runs to the dam and then float back. No crowd! Feel free to join us, & raise a ruckus!! I figure i'll be able to get an idea of MPH from my brothers GPS. Two more weeks. Thanks again Paul, and everyone else who had a part in getting her back in the water, Craig at Dooley Oil pans, ADM boatworks, Summit racing, All Engine on San Fernando Rd., Rex Marine, Overton's, and most of all my clients with the awesome new kitchens who financed this ressurection. I've got some polishing to do in the next two weeks, I'll be back to update then. Thanx All Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast