Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surge Brakes

LUVNLIFE
    I have an Extreme Trailer with surge brakes that are shut off by the blue wire when the truck is put in reverse. I'm going to Cottonwood cove in a month and last time I went the brakes were hotter than two rats effin in a wool sock. Anyone who knows the area knows what I'm saying. Fourteen miles of downhill out of searchlight to the lake. My trailer does not have a pin to put in to stop the brakes from coming on. Short of backing all the way down to the lake do you guys have any suggestions. Thanks

widowmaker
    Welcome to the wonderful flaw of surge brakes.... I used to have this same problem towing my boat down from Lake Powell (from Flagstaff to Phoenix) and I finally chucked the brakes and went to electric brakes, they work like a million bucks I will never go back to surge brakes..

LUVNLIFE
    Don't you have probs with water and the electric brakes

widowmaker
    Don't you have probs with water and the electric brakes
    Ya know I have had several people ask me that. I just unplug my trailer before dunking and plug back in later. The brakes use magnets to actuate the brakes, so even if I didn't unplug them I don't see much problem.
    I can see a problem possibly with salt water, but I have never put any of my boats in salt water.
    I've been using them for about 5 years now, I had orginally drum surge brakes, then I upgraded or what I thought was upgrading to disc surge brakes, smoked the discs and pads and finally I am back to drums but with electric actuators.
    It may not even be DOT approved on a boat trailer, I just don't know.
    All I do know is that I have great stopping power with all four tires on the trailer and I have never had to do anything except adjust them once for normal wear of the shoes.
    If you want I can give you more info on how to make the swap.
    12Volt DC current like that in a boat or car doesn't react the same way that 120V AC current does in a house.
    I would suggest unplugging them in the water as do most with lights anyways.
    Please feel free to ask more questions or pm me

shrek
    I tried like hell to get Pacific to put straight electric drums on my new boat trailer, because I love them so much on the toyhauler........especially with the TowCommand system on my Ford.......but they would not.
    So I ended up going with the Electric/Hyd system.........cause I refused to go with surge.........and the jury is still out.
    Shrek

widowmaker
    I tried like hell to get Pacific to put straight electric drums on my new boat trailer, because I love them so much on the toyhauler........especially with the TowCommand system on my Ford.......but they would not.
    So I ended up going with the Electric/Hyd system.........cause I refused to go with surge.........and the jury is still out.
    Shrek
    Ditto, I have them on my 22' toyhauler and they are great!!

plaster dave
    I have an Extreme Trailer with surge brakes that are shut off by the blue wire when the truck is put in reverse. I'm going to Cottonwood cove in a month and last time I went the brakes were hotter than two rats effin in a wool sock. Anyone who knows the area knows what I'm saying. Fourteen miles of downhill out of searchlight to the lake. My trailer does not have a pin to put in to stop the brakes from coming on. Short of backing all the way down to the lake do you guys have any suggestions. Thanks
    I always slow down more then what my desired speed is and then give some gas to disengage the brakes and just cruise from there. It is probable easier because I have a camera on the back of the truck to see when it is engaged and disengaged. I hope this helped out and made since.

LUVNLIFE
    I know exactly what you mean. Although I think in the fourteen miles down to Cottonwood there are approx 1,538,719 turns that you have to slow down for. Since the wife drinks rum and cokes on the way it will make her sick with all the speeding up and slowing

LUVNLIFE
    What do you guys think of this. Make sure that the tongue is all the way out, brakes off. Then find a good spot, drill a hole for a good strong pin. When I pull into Searchlight, stop with the brakes off, insert pin and continue downhill. I don'thaul ass down the hill and with all the turns you really can't so I'm not worried about not having the trailer brakes.:idea:

Jetdriver
    2 ways to handle it Cale. Either drill a hole and bolt it out or jump the blue wire with the same wire that activates the brake lights so when you hit the brakes it throws out the solenoid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast