Thread: idle gone away

billet racing 1
    Last week at the BBSP, we made some hot laps in the main body. Flew the boat well. One time I did not get off the throttle and hit the rev limiter. 7,500 rpms. Popped pretty good. Now will not idle.
    Just went through the carbs. Cleaned and blew out everything. replaced the power valves. Still nothing. idles real high, 2,000 rpms, than dies. Turn the idle screws down, and will not run. Only way to keep running is constantly pump the throttle. Little bumps.
    Any ideas?
    Jerry

Marty Gras
    Intake air leak. You "popped" an intake gasket out. Or a valve....

Infomaniac
    Yep sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
    See if you can find evidence of black soot where it popped.
    If you can't find it you can use a small propane bottle and valve to track it down. Not as messy as WD-40 etc.

Unchained
    Put a vaccuum gauge on the intake manifold and check for low vaccuum or if the gauge jumps around a lot.
    Do a compression check to look for a low cylinder in case you bent a valve.
    Check the big hoses from the compressors. I had a thing happen where I had forgot to tighten a compressor band clamp sufficiently and over the course of a couple months the compressor housing turned slightly until it began to leak at the hose connection. The engine still ran fine because my throttle bodies are past the compressors, but the boost was way down and the performance was way off. It was one of those 0 cost repairs that are so rare. :idea:

billet racing 1
    Hose from carb saddle to turbo slipped off. had moved and the clamp was doing no good. I'd say this was a good indication of the problem.
    BUT
    One broken valve spring. I'm going to do a leak down test, and see if any valves are bent. If not, no heads have to come off. New spring and tighten her back up. WIll be done tonight. If bent valves, will be up till 3am tonight and again thurs night. Need to leave Fri am for the drags and she has to be running.
    Jerry

WETTE VETTE
    Watch the valve lash on the one with the new spring. A lot of times once a spring breaks the lifter gets the shit beat out of it and fails shortly after.